"Domme in the Perigord Noir on the Dordogne River" Domme by Beausoleil
Domme Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 89 photos
Domme is a great place to stop while visiting the Perigord Noir in the Dordogne region of Aquitaine. We stayed in a little farmhouse in Cenac-et-St.-Julien and could see Domme on its hilltop from our front yard. What an amazing sight.
We visited caves; small towns, fair-sized cities and castles and castles and castles. There seems to be a castle on every hill . . . and nearly is because this was fighting country during the 100 Years War.
Views of the surrounding area are amazing from this little park way above the river.
I suppose you could say Domme is touristy, but no number of tourists could possibly detract from the views in this town. Take time to walk through the village because it is thoroughly charming and yes, you certainly can shop for souvenirs here.
This would be a great base for exploring Sarlat, La Roque Gageac, Beynac and the prehistoric caves of the region.
. . . in every direction. If you can get here on a sunny, clear day, you will be rewarded with amazing views.
There is city parking just to the right of this view and the town is walkable from there.
- Pros:Golden stone buildings, good food, good wine, nice people
- Cons:A bit crowded in summer
- In a nutshell:The Dordogne has it all . . . and at very reasonable prices.
The Folk museum is located on the main Market Square behind the ancient Halle (that is now the entry to the grotto). The... more travel advice
A Logis de France hotel set in a beautiful garden with a pool, tennis and parking. It is an easy walk to the Dordogne... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Domme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Domme in the Perigord Noir on the Dordogne River"
- "A Village with a View: Domme"
- "A Bastide Town with A View"
- "A relaxing afternoon in Domme"
- "Beautiful fortified village in the Dordogne"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Domme
- 4 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (241)
Have you been to Domme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Domme
Photos in DommeSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 129 reviews, 479 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 32 reviews, 154 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues