"Birthplace of William the Conqueror" Falaise by Beausoleil
Falaise Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 33 photos
William the Conqueror seemed to have quite a few chateaus strategically spread around France. I suppose this is necessary if you are going to conquer people. It is fun to visit them.
Falaise is a small but busy town and there are superb views from the chateau so a visit is highly recommended. The town is on the N158 from Caen and is easy to reach.
There are also two churches well worth a visit and an excellent little restaurant in the town.
Renovation continues at the chateau site and there is a very controversial entrance. It is very modern cast cement but it looks like something William would have built if he had had the materials at the time. It is forbidding and that was the purpose.
You enter through a gift shop and the tour is audio guided in your choice of languages.
There is a church across from the Hotel de Ville by the chateau and then a bit further downtown is St. Gervais. Both are worth more than a few minutes.
If you have the time, there are excellent walks in the nearby countryside.
Don't miss the lovely little restaurant, la Fine Fourchette.
- Pros:Quiet and very friendly, lots of history
- In a nutshell:Intense history presented in an interesting manner. Great views, friendly people.
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Falaise Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BIRTHPLACE OF WILLIAM THE CONQUERER"
- "Birthplace of William the Conqueror"
- "Hilltop Fortress"
- "Welcome to Falaise"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Falaise
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Falaise?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Falaise
Photos in FalaiseSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 101 reviews, 334 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue