"Grasse - Perfumeries and a Flower Market" Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse by Beausoleil

Grasse Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 137 photos

A History of Perfume

Most people visit Grasse for the perfume . . . an excellent reason to visit. Fragonard has a very nice perfume museum with tours in several languages. The tour ends, fittingly, at the gift shop. This, of course, is my favorite part of the experience.

I've been there enough to know exactly what perfumes I want, but I love to smell them all anyway. In addition to perfumes, they have marvelous soaps. I like them so well that I use mail order when I run out. They smell good, look good and are triple milled so they last forever . . . well, not quite forever or I wouldn't have to mail order them!

It's a fun experience.

Don't miss the Grasse Flower market

The flower market is at its showiest on Saturdays in summer. Don't forget your camera. The colors are unbelieveable. The whole market area is terrific. The flowers surround the charming old fountain.

And . . . there is a vegetable market, a cheese market, a meat market and breads for sale. It's also lots of fun to watch local buyers. They know each other and all the vendors and they know exactly what they want. It's a great way to spend a morning.

Buy some flowers for your hotel room!

Can vegetables be pretty?

Of course they can. The vegetables rival the flowers in beauty at the central market. You are surrounded by flowers, vegetables, fountains, lovely old old houses and lots of local shoppers.

This is a great place to start your search for the perfect picnic lunch to take into the hills outside town and be so happy you came to France.

• Pros:Views, color, fresh air, reasonable prices
  • Cons:Can't think of any . . .
  • In a nutshell:Friendly people in a lovely area.
  • Intro Updated Jul 16, 2010

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Lovely town, I'm looking forward to visiting and learning more about perfume production and its history. Thank you!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Mon Dieu, Sally. I loved Grasse. The outdoor market, the quaint lamp posts, the perfume factory. I find the French Hill towns magnifique! I find your water color paintings magnifique, as well. Au revoir! Larry

• timada's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2008 at 12:29 AM

I was there ! Such a lovely town ! Must have another trip to this part of France .Stayed the same hotel .Sorry I have no digital photos from there .

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM

30 years after the fact, I can still remember how clean the air was in Grasse, and how wonderful that museum smelled (not at all department-store heavy-perfumy). Thanks for bringing back good memories.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2006 at 4:33 AM

The hotel sounds great. I love this part of France : )

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 8:30 AM

I have so wanted to go to some of these villages near Nice, but have never gotten around to it. Grasse is definitely on my list for my next trip.

Beausoleil

“Live long enough to see it all.”

Badges & Stats in Grasse