"A great place to visit the Canal du Midi" Homps by Beausoleil
Homps Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 27 photos
Homps is a tiny village but has a small supermarket on the highway and an epicerie with souvenir shop by the canal. There are several restaurants at the port and another excellent one a five-minute walk down the canal.
There isn't a lot of interest in the village, but there is a Templar chateau, a church and several attractive houses. The big draw is the Canal du Midi. The canal is wide enough for boats to turn here so it's become a popular starting and stopping place for rentals and trips. The Capitainerie where you get canal ride tickets is also one of the better wine tasting venues in the area.
There is a bright blue footbridge crossing the Canal du Midi in Homps. On one side is most of the village and on the other side, a few restaurants, a park and boat repair facilities. It's also a great place to get photos of the canal.
You can park for free along the canal, buy barge tickets at The Capitainerie and do some wine tasting while you wait. You can also have lunch either before or after your canal ride. We thoroughly enjoyed the Tonneliers Restaurant right by The Capitainerie and were told the restaurant across the canal is also excellent. Our favorite restaurant in the area is L'Arbousier which is a five-minute walk down the canal . . . and a delightful way to spend a few minutes on a lovely day.
- Pros:Good base for the Canal du Midi and Corbiere wine tasting
- In a nutshell:Beautiful, peaceful and a good base for local sightseeing.
Le Chai Port Minervois at the Capitainerie in Homps is well known for it's excellent choice of local Minervois wines for... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Homps Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Homps - Great base to explore the region"
- "A great place to visit the Canal du Midi"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Homps
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (146)
Have you been to Homps?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Homps
- Posted in Travel France Forum "Re: Good base for a family to..."
- Wrote a Review Wine tasting is always fun. in Homps Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wine tasting is always fun."
- created a Homps Travel Page "A great place to visit the Canal du Midi"
- Commented on one of pigletsmom's Homps travel pages
Photos in HompsSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 327 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (93)
Latest Homps hotel reviews
- Port Minervois
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 14, 2013