"Paris is a tiny part of France. Visit the rest!" France by Beausoleil
France Travel Guide: 58,102 reviews and 157,472 photos
Update: So many people try to visit France in a week or two. Our first trip was a month and we saw a lot but had many reasons to return over the years. I did a Travelogue below of a 30-day trip to France (our first trip) that covers Paris, the Loire Valley, Languedoc, Provence, the Alps, Burgundy and Paris. We tried to spend 3-days in each place but obviously it didn't work out perfectly. If you're planning an exploration trip, you might enjoy the Travelogue below. Bonne chance!
So many folks visit the D-Day Beaches in Normandy and don't discover the other treasures there. You can visit beautiful chateaus, lovely rural countryside, delightful soft sand beaches, resort towns, tiny villages, cheese factories with tastings and even more fun . . . cider and calvados tastings. There are historic sites including marvelous old ruined abbeys near new working abbeys. There is Monet's Garden and house in Giverny, windmills . . . the list goes on.
Plan a week or two and really get to know Normandy.
We visited Burgundy on our very first trip to France many years ago and we keep returning because there is so much to see and experience. You start with the wines but you come back because of the friendly people, the spectacular scenery and the incredible diversity. There are marvelous chateaus, churches, quaint villages, rivers and, of course, the Burgundy Canal. Drive an hour from Beaune and you are in Burgundian farm country with rolling hills, charming small towns and excellent restaurants. Bibracte, with a great Celtic museum and an archeological dig, is in Burgundy and so is Guedelon where they are building a chateau using only 13th century tools and materials . . . do a search on VT; you'll be glad you did!
Provence is more than the Riviera. As a matter of fact, Provence is more enjoyable away from the Riviera. This region of France is called Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur and includes not only the famous (and rocky) Riviera, but the beautiful areas inland and extends up into the stunningly beautiful Alps. One of the loveliest French National Parks is in Provence, the Mercantour, north of Nice but in another world. There are waterfalls, amazing views, clear lakes and all sorts of wildlife and wildflowers.
Also in Provence are perched villages like Eze, Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Gourdon and St. Paul de Vence. There are larger towns like Grasse, French perfume center and surrounded by fields of lavender. You will visit Abbeys, fabulous art museums, wineries, ruined villages and villages that appear not to have changed for hundreds of years. The roads are lined with trees and there are beautiful sand beaches and wildlife refuges along the Mediterranean.
You could spend a lifetime and not see it all so why not plan a couple weeks and really explore?
- Pros:Incredible diversity of scenery and attractions
- Cons:The largest country in Europe can't be seen on a two-week vacation.
- In a nutshell:The people of France are incredibly helpful and very proud of their beautiful country.
The Auvergne may be one of the hidden wonders of France. It has no sea coast so escapes a lot of tourists. On a map... more travel advice
This was a reply to a gentleman who was looking for places off the beaten tourist path in France. Since France is such a... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
France Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL FRANCE !!!"
- "La France"
- "France - a place for many adventures"
- "France 2002 & 1995"
- "LA BELLE FRANCE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in France
- Hotels in France
- Transportation in France
- Nightlife in France
- Restaurants in France
- Shopping in France
- Warnings and Dangers in France
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in France
- 481 Reviews
- 2,230 Photos
- 5,681 Forum posts
- 122 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to France?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in France
Videos in FranceSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 89 reviews, 285 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 28 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos
- Tourette-sur-Loup Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
Top France hotels
- Paris Hotels
- 22198 Reviews - 54001 Photos
- Nice Hotels
- 1783 Reviews - 3922 Photos
- Cannes Hotels
- 441 Reviews - 1099 Photos
- Lourdes Hotels
- 111 Reviews - 243 Photos
- Strasbourg Hotels
- 851 Reviews - 2411 Photos
- Avignon Hotels
- 414 Reviews - 1172 Photos
- Caen Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 374 Photos
- Aix-en-Provence Hotels
- 330 Reviews - 708 Photos
- Marseille Hotels
- 769 Reviews - 1747 Photos
- Villefranche-sur-Mer Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 236 Photos
- Reims Hotels
- 275 Reviews - 826 Photos
- Toulouse Hotels
- 544 Reviews - 1145 Photos
- Rouen Hotels
- 444 Reviews - 1143 Photos
- Honfleur Hotels
- 128 Reviews - 437 Photos
- Nantes Hotels
- 215 Reviews - 614 Photos