"Charming village stretched along the Dordogne" Top 5 Page for this destination La Roque-Gageac by Beausoleil
La Roque-Gageac Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 74 photos
La Roque-Gageac is stretched out along the main road from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Beynac on the D703. You drive along the beautiful Dordogne River and it magically appears as though carved out of the cliff.
There are more streets to the town but closed to automobiles. Park by the river and walk through the quaint village. The views from the top are spectacular.
By the river, watch for the gabares, the flat-bottomed boats that used to be used for freight and passengers and are now used for tourists. They are great fun.
Look above the town and you will see cave dwellings. This is a precursor of things to come as you drive around the Dordogne and visit the many prehistoric sites. It is a fascinating area of great beauty and amazing history.
There are two gabare companies in La Roque-Gageac and they alternate schedules so you never have to wait more than a half hour to ride one.
Yes, it's touristy, but it's also great fun and you get views you won't see anyplace else . . . unless you rent a canoe or kayak on the river.
La Roque is a charming village with terrific views and very friendly people.
Update: We've used both Gabare companies now and decided we definitely prefer Gabare Caminade. The audio is more coordinated and you see more of the natural sights along the way in addition to the castles. There was more and better explanation and it was just a more pleasant experience. Next time we'll use Gabare Caminade again; it's worth a 15 to 30 minute wait.
- Pros:Utterly beautiful
- Cons:None, there is even parking.
- In a nutshell:Great views, good food, friendly people, lots to do and see
If you have the inclination, La Roque Gageac is one of the most paintable places I've visited. This epicerie (grocery)... more travel advice
I must admit this restaurant was our second choice. We couldn't find the place we were looking for so saw this... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
La Roque-Gageac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming village stretched along the Dordogne"
- "And a big rock at that"
- "One of the most beautiful villages imaginable"
- "La Roque Gageac"
- "A Cliff-Side Dordogne River Town"
- "Climb into La Roque-Gageac"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Roque-Gageac
- Hotels in La Roque-Gageac
- Transportation in La Roque-Gageac
- Restaurants in La Roque-Gageac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Roque-Gageac
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (286)
Have you been to La Roque-Gageac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Roque-Gageac
- Posted in Travel Basse-Normandie Forum "Re: Normandy suggestions "
- Beausoleil updated an itinerary France in 16 days.
- Commented on one of Beausoleil's La Roque-Gageac tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Near, but not in La Roque, despite address"
- updated a La Roque-Gageac Travel Page "Charming village stretched along the Dordogne"
- Wrote a Review Paint a picture in La Roque-Gageac Things to Do
Photos in La Roque-GageacSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 496 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Avignon Intro, 13 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Nice Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos