"Leogane, an old colonial city" Léogâne by Beausoleil
Léogâne Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 12 photos
There are vestiges of old colonial Leogane that survive. The church on the market square is definitely worth a visit as is the market opposite. Keeping the church on your right and walking along the market, turn right at the end of the block and you will come to several stone colonial buildings that survive as stores. Cross the street and step back so you can see the upper stories. That is where history is visible.
If you want to go back in time, keep walking on out of town. The surrounding mountains have dirt roads, single path, with tiny brightly colored houses. Chickens wander freely and if you look up into the palm trees, often you see a post where the corn crop hangs . . . safe from rats.
Out in the country, you won't find television or phones, but you will find a friendly welcome and open communication. If you don't speak Kreol, you can get by with French. Speak slowly and be patient. Time moves at a different pace here.
No matter where you go there are chickens pecking away and market women carrying various bundles on their heads.
Taking photos is fine, but if your subjects are clearly identifiable, ask permission. Most love to have their pictures taken, especially the children. It's also fun to carry a Poloroid and offer them a photo of themselves if you don't mind carrying two cameras. It may be the only photo some people ever have of themselves.
One of the buildings that managed to survive (mostly) the earthquake in Léogâne is the beautiful church of Ste. Croix by the hospital. The windows of the church are a national treasure. They are all cut ironwork of various Bible scenes. When you see them against the worn carved wooden benches with the light filtering through, you are in a different world.
- Pros:Lovely old colonial city
- Cons:Ravaged by economic distress
- In a nutshell:Very friendly and the surrounding area is incredibly beautiful.
The Catholic church downtown in Leogane is more impressive from the outside, but the small Episcopal Church out by the... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Léogâne Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Léogâne
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Léogâne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Léogâne
Photos in LéogâneSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 327 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue