"Gorgeous perched village" Minerve by Beausoleil
Minerve Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 30 photos
We were renting a gite near Homps and decided to drive up to Minerve on one of the few days the sun came out. It's been a very strange spring!
The drive through the countryside east of Carcassonne was wonderful. It had snowed a few days before (in May) so the mountains were snow covered but the valleys were green and well watered.
You can see Minerve in the distance here.
The guidebooks all say the church is closed except on Sundays. Well, not exactly. Yes, it is closed . . . but you can get a key from the docent at the Museum of Archeology by the Tourist Office. The docent will take you to the church and let you inside. It is worth the little extra effort.
Check the altar. It was moved from St. Nazaire church where the cemetery is now located. St. Nazaire no longer exists. The altar is the famed St. Rustique altar and is dated to the year 456 by inscriptions on the altar. That is pretty amazing.
Out in front of the church is a 1982 sculpture commemorating the Cathars from Minerve that were executed here.
This is a great place to explore. It's all pedestrian and the views from the village are magnificent. If you have a car, there is adequate parking above the village and you walk down into it along the gorge. Great photo ops!
There are galleries, shops, craftsmen and restaurants. There is even a really nice bookstore near the Tourist Office.
- Pros:Gorgeous village, one of the Plus Beaux Villes of France
- In a nutshell:A fun day trip from the coast or from Carcassonne
The Dove is a work of art created in 1982 by Jean-Luc Séverac, a Minerve artist, to commemorate the 140 Cathar Parfaits... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Minerve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Minerve - Spectacular Cathar Village"
- "Gorgeous perched village"
- "A very old village in the Languedoc"
- "Minerve, centre of the Minervois vineyards"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minerve
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Minerve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minerve
Photos in MinerveSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 123 reviews, 445 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues