"Montrichard on the river Cher near Chenonceaux" Montrichard by Beausoleil
Montrichard Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 8 photos
We spent a wonderful three weeks near Montrichard in a gite rural (country cottage) that was as close to living in France as you can get in a month. The town was a delight even out of season. In season there is a lot more to do including a raptor show and a light show at the chateau. There is a beach with paddle boats across the river.
Montrichard is only about 7 miles from Chateau Chenonceau along the river. We drove to Amboise several times and also visited Chateaus Chaumont, Cheverny, Amboise, Luynes, Villandry, Azay-le-Rideau, Fougeres, Blois and Montpoupon to name the ones that come directly to mind.
We found a favorite bakery and thoroughly enjoyed the twice-weekly outdoor market. There are several good restaurants in town, including the best pizza we've had in France. You also have Internet access in the local Tourist Office.
Stop at the local Tourist Office. It's in a wonderful old medieval building on the square. Get a map of Montrichard and follow the walk they give you. At one point you climb a lot of stairs up to the back of the donjon and there is a bench where you can sit and see the entire world. I took this picture just below the bench. If you turn the other way, you look far up the Cher.
It is a stunning vista.
The market covers several blocks and seems to sell nearly everything. They even had sabots (wooden shoes) and Geox shoes in the same booth. It's always fun to visit a village market and you absolutely can't leave without buying something. We got a wonderful smelly cheese and lots of fresh fruit.
- Pros:Charming medieval village, lovely historic area
- Cons:Slows down a bit in winter but still plenty to do
- In a nutshell:Relaxing, friendly and utterly charming
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Montrichard Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Montrichard on the river Cher near Chenonceaux"
- Create a Montrichard Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Montrichard
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Montrichard?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montrichard
Photos in MontrichardSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 126 reviews, 464 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 32 reviews, 154 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues