"Obernai is a magic village" Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai by Beausoleil

Obernai Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 229 photos

We found Obernai by accident!

We were staying in Barr, a favorite village, and decided to make a trip to Mont Ste. Odile and then drive to Selestat. Driving down from Mont Ste. Odile, I noticed Obernai on the map so we decided to see what was there.

What a GREAT little town. It turned out to be our favorite stop of the day. This is the main square right in front of the tower and town hall. To the right are a lot of restaurants and you can see church steeples in the background. It has to be the perfect wine village.

For more photos, please check the Travelogues at the bottom of the page.

Please check the Travelogues for more photos!

The tower is the Beffroi (belfry) and the smaller building is the town hall. This is the center of town and is surrounded by restaurants and shops and several hotels.

Up a side street to the right of the town hall is the church and behind the church a lovely stream.

I think of the colored tiles as Burgundian but they appeared all over Alsace. I love the color tiled patterns. Why have a roof when you can have a work of art?!

• Pros:Really cute town with friendly people
  • Cons:Absolutely none . . . it was perfect.
  • In a nutshell:A great combination of France and Germany, the best of both!
  • Last visit to Obernai: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

That certainly is a spectacular location for a monastery! And I like their unique multiple sundials facing slightly different directions so they can tell the time in different parts of the world.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
      Sep 13, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Hi Don. We loved the sun dials. It was a great idea . . . the atomic clock of the middle ages. Fun!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Sally, Enjoyed your page, a VT friend recommends we do a day trip from Strasbourg late August.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM

My list also. Just in the planning stages of a leisurely tour of the region. Thanks for taking the time to share.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Sally, you've done it again. It's no wonder that you keep returning to France, you always seem to find wonderful places that no one knows about. Obernai will certainly go on my list. Kate

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM

wow, thats a really beautiful place ! Time for me to explore more of Alsace this summer, now that I am working in Switzerland !

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2010 at 2:01 PM

My kind of Village! We have found some excellent "gems" by doing what you did too, and what a great surprise it is to find something as nice as this. Lots of lovely photo's. Thanks for sharing.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2009 at 1:35 PM

The best of both worlds = yes and the smell of a bakery always wins over restaurants!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Haha, you are right, Alsace is not a place where you will remain hungry for long!

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2007 at 5:37 PM

ATLC, I did not know that. Thank you. We have got to come visit you. I just love all your comments on the forum.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2007 at 5:38 AM

Did you know those roof tiles are actually brought to the region by Flemish architects? :-)

Beausoleil

“Live long enough to see it all.”

Badges & Stats in Obernai

Have you been to Obernai?

Latest Activity in Obernai