"Near Bordeaux but gloriously rural" Puisséguin by Beausoleil
Puisséguin Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
We had a bit of trouble finding Chateau de Rocques because when you are out in the wine areas, you just drive one road after another lined with grape vines. They all start to look alike. We finally stopped in Puisseguin at the boulangerie and asked directions. There was a little market going on in town when we stopped. That was fun!
The chateau is small and charming. It is also on top of a hill that overlooks the entire region so the views are remarkable. They have their own wine and you can arrange a degustation if you like. The on-site restaurant is also very nice . . . and very convenient.
Puisseguin is a terrific base for visiting the Bordeaux wine region and a must-see is certainly the charming tile-roofed wine village of St. Emilion. Be sure to visit the church carved out of solid rock. There are plenty of places for wine tasting and even more charming outdoor cafes to enjoy the parade of humanity wandering by. If you are as lucky as we were, the local art association may be having an exhibit and you can talk to the artists as well as pick up some unique gifts to take home.
Don't get so involved with wine tasting that you forget to visit Bordeaux itself. It is a beautiful city. There is parking along the Garonne River where you'll find the port. Parking used to be free until July but I suspect those days are gone forever. If there is a "payant" painted on the street by parking, be sure you pay. On the bright side, there is now a very nice tram running along the river to help you get around. It's an easy town to walk but the team can save you some time if you are limited.
There is a beautiful garden in the center of town and shopping galore. July is the soldes (sales) so it's a good time to go shopping. January has sales too, but the weather isn't as nice.
- Pros:Charming tiny village with a small market and shops
- Cons:Not a tourist town, you need to visit the area around it.
- In a nutshell:Very friendly and relaxing in a great area.
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Puisséguin Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Puisséguin
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (286)
Have you been to Puisséguin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puisséguin
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: International Drivers License"
- Beausoleil updated an itinerary France in 16 days.
- updated a Puisséguin Travel Page "Near Bordeaux but gloriously rural"
- Wrote a Review Stay in a Vineyard Chateau in Puisséguin Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Near Bordeaux but gloriously rural"
Photos in PuisséguinSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 496 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Avignon Intro, 13 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Nice Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos