"Le Corbusier Chapel in Ronchamp . . . Wow!" Ronchamp by Beausoleil
Ronchamp Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 20 photos
I first saw this very modernistic church when it was featured in Time Magazine around 1954 when it was first built. Le Corbusier is Charles-Edouard Jeanneret and he caused quite a stir when he built this.
I've always wanted to see it ever since I was a little girl so we finally made the journey and it was truly worth it. The building is magnificent and the view from the hilltop is incredible.
The bells are outside in the back. There is a pyramid you can climb in the front and also in the back, a fountain.
We entered and explored and were amazed at the silence inside. Photos are not allowed inside so there were no cameras (including mine) snapping and no bulbs popping, but people were either silent or speaking in whispers . . . very unlike the magnificent gothic cathedrals! It is a huge soft space . . . rather dark, but very peaceful.
There is nothing that particularly says "entrance" so you just follow the sidewalk to the tiny door.
The side altars are almost completely hidden and are lighted from above by skylights in the tall silos, almost like light coming from Heaven. I’m not a big fan of modern architecture, but this is a great building. It is a warm and welcoming (almost motherly) building.
- Pros:Beautiful drive, amazing architecture, great views
- Cons:It's definitely off the main tourist track.
- In a nutshell:Definitely a pilgrimage!
We haven't stayed here but have eaten in their restaurant twice. I was incredibly impressed with the cleanliness and... more travel advice
This wonderfully modern chapel is the reason to visit Ronchamp. The outside of the building is stunning, having been... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Ronchamp Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Le Corbusier Chapel in Ronchamp . . . Wow!"
- "A Stop in Franche-Comte"
- "Ronchamp church by Le Corbusier"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ronchamp
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Ronchamp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ronchamp
Photos in RonchampSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 327 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue