"You have to walk through the ochre quarries" Roussillon by Beausoleil
Roussillon Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 43 photos
Roussillon is a really cute village in Provence. There are lots of gift shops and restaurants, including outdoor ones. However, before you "do" the village, go the opposite direction up by the car park and walk through the ochre quarries.
The colors are absolutely incredible, matched only by the grandeur of the surroundings. They periodically change the paths so it's a different experience each time you go. It's even spectacular in the rain because all the colors darken and become quite dramatic.
After you've walked through the quarries, go back into the village and treat yourself to lunch or some shopping. There are a few shops that sell the ochre colors in small bags. If you are ambitious, you can mix your own paints with honey or glycerin.
The village climbs a hill. You can see every color in the quarries painted onto the houses. You can see the entire world from the top.
Here is one tiny view of the ochre quarry. The colors range from a very bright yellow to the very deepest brownish red. When the sun shines on the colors, it is unbelievable.
The last time we were there on November 11 and they were closing for the winter the next day so check locally to see if they are open.
There are wooden steps in the steepest parts so it's not a bad hike.
- Pros:Quaint hilltop village and stunning scenery, including the very colorful quarry
- Cons:The quarry is closed during winter and bad weather.
- In a nutshell:If you've ever painted anything, this is a magical place.
This is a lovely Provencal hill town so don't miss it. Take your time and wander the streets uphill and down. Have a... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Roussillon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "You have to walk through the ochre quarries"
- "Roussillon, 84220."
- "East of Avignon"
- "Red Roussillon"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roussillon
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (287)
Have you been to Roussillon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roussillon
- Posted in Travel Le Havre Forum "Re: Normandy Bridge !!"
- Commented on one of painterdave's Roussillon tips
- updated a Roussillon Travel Page "You have to walk through the ochre quarries"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Got to visit those quarries!"
- Wrote a Review Don't forget the town . . . in Roussillon Things to Do
Photos in RoussillonSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 134 reviews, 506 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Avignon Intro, 13 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Nice Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos