"St. Aignan" Saint-Aignan by Beausoleil
Saint-Aignan Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 8 photos
Be sure to visit the crypt of this church. The frescoes are amazingly well preserved and they are lighted well too.
Afterwards, climb the steps up to the chateau (closed to the public) and enjoy the amazing views of the river Cher and surrounding town and countryside from the chateau terrace (open to the public).
The chateau is privately owned and not open to the public. However, you can walk through the terrace and enjoy the view over the town and the river. If you go through the walls and down the road, the Tourist Office is on your left. They have walking maps of the town and it is worth a half day to visit the lovely old town.
St. Aignan is a very old town on the river Cher and it is fun to wander the streets. There are a lot of half-timbered buildings, antique stores, restaurants and all the stores you'd expect in a very vibrant living village.
There are boats along the river for tours in season. We ate in an excellent restaurant called Le Mange-Grenouille and no, we didn't eat frog. I don't remember seeing it on the menu, just on the name.
- Pros:Historical, pretty, lovely location, great scenery nearby
- Cons:The chateau isn't open to the public
- In a nutshell:The frescoes in the church are worth the visit.
If you've seen the Loire chateaus and the kids want an adventure, there is a very nice zoo near St. Aignan. If you take... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Saint-Aignan Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint-Aignan
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (146)
Have you been to Saint-Aignan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Aignan
Photos in Saint-AignanSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 327 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue