"St. Remy has history . . . and tourists" Saint-Rémy-de-Provence by Beausoleil
Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 194 photos
Go through the magic arch and you find yourself in a different world.
They pollard the plane trees in the autumn and by next summer, they will again shade the streets of St. Remy completely.
It's a little bare in the winter though . . .
This is where Van Gogh was committed for a period in his life and they have renovated his room and opened it to the public. The church and cloisters are open and it is a very peaceful place to visit.
It is still a working asylum so you are not allowed free access of all areas.
It's a short walk across a field from Glanum so you can park there and walk to St. Paul de Mausole.
- Pros:Historic, peaceful, close to many Provencal sites.
- Cons:Can be very touristy, especially in season.
- In a nutshell:It is touristy but it is a great base for visiting that area of Provence
After you've checked the mausoleum and the triumphal arch, cross the road. There is an entire archeological excavation... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint Remy--A Town Nestled in the Alpilles"
- "Provence is simply Heaven on Earth"
- "The Ancient City of Glanum Was Here"
- "Charming Town In The Foothills of Alpilles"
- "Saint Rémy de Provence"
- "St. Remy has history . . . and tourists"
- "A nice base for visiting Provence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Hotels in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Transportation in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Restaurants in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Shopping in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Saint-Rémy-de-Provence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
- Posted in Travel Monaco Forum "Re: One day enough?"
- Commented on one of Radiomom's Saint-Rémy-de-Provence travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit both sides of the road at Glanum in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit both sides of the road at Glanum"
- created a Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Travel Page "St. Remy has history . . . and tourists"
Photos in Saint-Rémy-de-ProvenceSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 101 reviews, 334 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue