"Tourrettes-sur-Loup, City of Violets" Tourette-sur-Loup by Beausoleil
Tourette-sur-Loup Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 40 photos
Tourrettes-sur-Loup (spelled this way in the Michelin Tourist and Motoring Atlas and on the village web site) is a short but spectacular drive from Vence above Nice. Be sure to pull off the road somewhere along here to get a photo of the town on the mountain.
It is very touristy, but that doesn't take anything from the charm or from the views from the walls. Our theory is that we are tourists so if we want to do tourist things, we do them . . . and have a grand time.
Tourrettes is the City of Violets and is the only place in France where the cultivation of violets is still the principal occupation for about eleven families. In the late 1800s the agricultural activity of the village centered mainly round the violet. Do get a small pack of candied violets as a souvenir. You can also get violet ice cream with a candied violet on top. Interesting flavor and very pretty.
The flowers are picked between 15 October and 15 March and are used for sweets and for perfume by the perfumeries in Grasse.
There is a Violet Festival on the 1st or 2nd Sunday in March. Check the town web site for dates nearer to the festival.
There is parking just below the town walls and a little ceramic map highlighting the sights. Then you just wander the lovely cobblestone streets, visiting shops and galleries and supporting the French economy. There are restaurants where you can stop for coffee or wine and groceries, and specialty shops where you can buy a picnic if that's your preference.
Nearly every town has a sundial. We love to look for them.
. . . and there are those wonderful views.
This is a typical little shop along one of the streets. I think we must have wandered through most of them. I was particularly taken by the blue door, hence the shop name. I love that shade of blue; it goes well with stone; it reminds me of Provence.
83 Grand Rue
phone: 33 (0)4 93 24 19 25
Tourrettes-sur-Loup Official Web Site
- Pros:Gorgeous view, fun shops, friendly people
- Cons:Very touristy even out of season but still lovely
- In a nutshell:Worth a trip just for the drive. Spectacular countryside.
This is a lovely country hotel on the road between Vence and Tourrettes-sur-Loup. There is parking, a garden,... more travel advice
Tom's is a hole in the wall but a delightful one. The first thing you see is a giant cardboard ice cream cone. It is... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Tourette-sur-Loup Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tourrettes-sur-Loup, City of Violets"
- "The Violet Village"
- "Very Nice Town is called the city of Violets!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tourette-sur-Loup
- Hotels in Tourette-sur-Loup
- Restaurants in Tourette-sur-Loup
- Shopping in Tourette-sur-Loup
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tourette-sur-Loup
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to Tourette-sur-Loup?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tourette-sur-Loup
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Carrying laptop"
- Commented on one of Beausoleil's Tourette-sur-Loup tips
- updated a Tourette-sur-Loup Travel Page "Tourrettes-sur-Loup, City of Violets"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tourrettes-sur-Loup, City of Violets"
- Wrote a Review Lovely country inn with breakfast in Tourette-sur-Loup Hotels
Photos in Tourette-sur-LoupSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 101 reviews, 334 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues