Vézelay Things to Do Tips by Beausoleil Top 5 Page for this destination
Vézelay Things to Do: 24 reviews and 57 photos
In front of Basilique Ste. Marie-Madeleine
Vezelay has been a pilgrimage town for centuries. It still is, including religious pilgrims, history pilgrims and scenery pilgrims. They all receive satisfaction here.
As you walk up the hill, you join a crowd of people heading up with you. There are tourist shops, restaurants, religious item stores . . . and yes, real monks and nuns padding about in sandals much as they did centuries ago.
Address: In front of the basilica.
Directions: Walk up rue St. Pierre to the very obvious church.
The basilica at Vezelay
The wonderful church at Vezelay is not a cathedral which must have a bishop's chair. It is a basilica . . . a fine point for such a magnificent church. After Chartres, this is my favorite church in the entire world. It is not as ornate as, for instance, most Bavarian churches, but the very austerity is what I love about it. When you step inside, you feel you are stepping back in history; the ages are palpable inside the church.
This is one place where no one has to tell you to look up. Your eyes are drawn upward as you enter. If you have the opportunity to take a guided tour, do so you will understand all before your eyes. If not, purchase one of the many booklets available in the bookstore.
. . . and do look up!
Address: Top of the hill; you can't miss it
Directions: You can see it for miles. Vezelay is southwest of Avallon on the D957
A reluctant tourist
This young lady looked none to happy to be touring Vezelay that day. I'm sure she was rescued shortly. Lots of walking and not too many child-friendly things to do. Be sure you plan something for small children as a little reward when you make your trip.
Address: In front of Basilique Ste. Marie-Madeleine
Directions: Vezelay at the top of rue St. Pierre
More Reviews (1)
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Vézelay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The irresistable pull of Vezelay"
- "Vezelay, the Crusaders Town"
- "Heavenly beautiful"
- "RICHARD the LION HEART was HERE"
- "Where Tourism, Art & Religion Merged: The Pilgrims"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vézelay
- Hotels in Vézelay
- Transportation in Vézelay
- Restaurants in Vézelay
- Shopping in Vézelay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vézelay
- 4 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (287)
Have you been to Vézelay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vézelay
Photos in VézelaySee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 134 reviews, 506 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Avignon Intro, 13 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Nice Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos