"If you love copper cooking pots . . ." Villedieu-les-Poëles by Beausoleil
Villedieu-les-Poëles Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 19 photos
We visited Villedieu on a very cold rainy October day. It wasn't too far from the gite we were renting south of Caen and a very pretty drive despite the weather. Villedieu was just a curiosity stop on our way to the Abbaye de Hambye north of Villedieu.
Well, we drove into town and were immediately enchanted by all the copper signs, statues, pots in windows, etc. We even saw a copper garbage can! They were beautifully set off by bright red geraniums against the wet grey stone of the buildings.
We parked and started walking.
If you look through doorways, you find lovely hidden courtyards.
No, we didn't walk into someone's courtyard. This particular one is home to the town lace museum. It was closed the day we were there but the lace in the windows was magical and it certainly would be worth a trip in the future.
We saw this sign and had to go in, Atelier du Cuivre. We both play French horn, a brass instrument, and on French musical scores brass are referred to as cuivres. That got us in the door!
It was a combination museum and workshop and was in full swing with men pounding madly on sheets of copper while others were melting and pouring it. We signed up for the tour which was very interesting.
I must admit a highlight was the owner's dog. He had a tennis ball and had free run of the workshop. He would run up a ramp and drop the ball which would, naturally, roll down the ramp. Then he would tear down to retrieve his own ball. He also was more than willing to let us toss the ball anywhere in the shop so he could retrieve it for us. He was amazing and he never went where he wasn't allowed. Great fun!
- Pros:If you are interested in copper or lace, this is the place to visit.
- In a nutshell:Very friendly, very interesting and very wet when we were there. Rain does go away.
Villedieu is on The Lace Road or Route de la Dentelle Normande. This includes Alencon, Bayeux, Caen, Argentan and... more travel advice
Beausoleil's Related Pages
Villedieu-les-Poëles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "If you love copper cooking pots . . ."
- "Visiting the Cornille-Havard Bell Foundry"
- "Yes, come, visit, buy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villedieu-les-Poëles
- Restaurants in Villedieu-les-Poëles
- Shopping in Villedieu-les-Poëles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villedieu-les-Poëles
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to Villedieu-les-Poëles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villedieu-les-Poëles
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Air conditioning in August "
- updated a Villedieu-les-Poëles Travel Page "If you love copper cooking pots . . ."
- Commented on one of Segolily's Villedieu-les-Poëles travel pages
- Wrote a Review Handmade lace - gorgeous! in Villedieu-les-Poëles Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Handmade lace - gorgeous!"
Photos in Villedieu-les-PoëlesSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 101 reviews, 334 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 31 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Amboise Intro, 5 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai Intro, 5 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pays de la Loire Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues