"Qom -- so close yet so far from Tehran" Qom by jkseddon
Qom Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 42 photos
Qom is the second most important religious centre in Iran after Mashad and is where Imam Khomeini was exiled from by the Shah. Today it is a pilgrimmage site for Shiite Muslims and is quite a conservative place.
For non-Muslims, finding accomodation can be tough and overall the reception you'll find is much cooler than elsewhere in Iran. Aside from the shrine and Khomeini's house there is little to see in Qom but the pilgrims stay busy by shopping in the evenings.
You can stay here on the way into or out of Tehran. Alternatively, you can make it a day trip from Tehran.
- Pros:Radically different from most of the country
- Cons:tough to find accomodation
- In a nutshell:Get a glimpse of a side of Iran more along the lines of what people erroneously believe the whole country is like
jkseddon's Related Pages
Qom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Qom -- so close yet so far from Tehran"
- "Just a quick stop"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qom
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Qom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qom
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iraq Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mazar-e Sharif Intro, 10 reviews, 4 photos
- Iran Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Ashgabat Intro, 10 reviews, 1 photo
- Almaty Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dushanbe Intro, 6 reviews
- Afghanistan Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Tehran Intro, 5 reviews
- Muhafazat as Sulaymaniyah 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent Intro, 4 reviews