"Springfield - the city Lincoln Loved" Top 5 Page for this destination Springfield by Muya

Springfield Travel Guide: 162 reviews and 442 photos

When Abraham Lincoln left Springfield, he said : “For more than a quarter of a century, I have lived among you and ...have received nothing but kindness at your hands”.

Well I must say Springfield is a nice little town, the capital of the State of Illinois, that we visited on our way to Saint Louis. The Capitol impressed me a lot, especially the ceiling and its decoration that I particularly appreciated. It seemed quite huge to me, as it was in fact the first american capitol I saw, and also the place where I learned the difference between the donkey and the elephant in a political point of view :-)
A part from homing the state Capitol, Springfield also has the honor and priviledge of being the town where Abraham Licoln lived... Many traces of his life there can be found everywhere in the city and the whole state actually...every little spot where he stopped seems to have been made use of for tourism.
In Springfield, many of the attractions are within walking distance from each other, and wandering in the historical neighborhood, admiring all the old mansions, is a good memory I keep from my trip.

• Last visit to Springfield: Jul 1996
  • Intro Written Apr 29, 2005

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Nicely done, Muya. My great-grandparents knew Lincoln personally so I have a special interest in the man.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2006 at 2:10 PM

Very good information - thanks for sharing!

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2005 at 6:23 AM

Muriel, Excellent Springfield tips. I lived in Illinois 5 years. A lot of Lincolniana history of 'Honest Abe' is there. Doug

Muya

“Your planet needs you... time to act !”

Badges & Stats in Springfield

Have you been to Springfield?

Latest Activity in Springfield