"Bloomington - in the heart of Illinois" Bloomington by Muya
Bloomington Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 54 photos
Nothing to do ? Well, no, I wouldn’t say that... We stayed in Bloomington for about 2 weeks and we managed to find things to do :-)Actually, we enjoyed our stay there very much. Of course it ain’t Chicago, but staying with my aunt’s friends was the best way for me to experience the real “American way of life”...Although Josette is half Belgian, so it was more the Belgian-American way of life :-) But I truely had the time of my life ! Just relax and have interesting discussions with family and friends is a great way to spend one’s holiday as well.
Malls and stores are differents from what we knew at home, and of course it is always funny to discover new brands and products, like salted pop-corn :-)
The city center is practically inexistant in comparison to European towns, you can’t go shopping without a car for example.
During the 13 days we were staying with them, Josette and Terry kindly showed us around and we visited Chicago for a week-end, Saint Louis the other week-end, Springfield and New Salem. So I wanted to write this page to thank them for their warm welcome... We were very sad to leave, really... And I can’t wait to go back :-)
Located in the heart of central Illinois, southwest of Chicago, and north of Springfield, the state Capital, and of Saint Louis, the growing Bloomington is also the County Seat of McLean County (the largest in Illinois).
The agricultural area in which Bloomington lies is one of the most productive in the whole nation but the economy is quite diverse. The city counts, in addition to the major manufacturers and industries, two universities, three hospitals, a convention center, two indoor malls, an outdoor outlet mall, and many banks and Savings & Loan Associations.
Bloomington is also a twin city with the town of Norlmal and this certainly played a role in the fact that the town is one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in Illinois.
The main company in Bloomington is probably State Farm Insurance, as the headquarters are located in the city.
I can’t believe we arrived on the 4th of July and missed the fireworks and stuff because we were suffering jetlag... more travel advice
Muya's Related Pages
Bloomington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Focus on Education"
- "One of the very first Bloomington IL Pages"
- "Bloomington - in the heart of Illinois"
- "I've left the building--check the Kansas City Page"
- "n8hoffman's new Bloomington Page"
- "New Year's Eve 2003"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bloomington
- Hotels in Bloomington
- Transportation in Bloomington
- Nightlife in Bloomington
- Restaurants in Bloomington
- Warnings and Dangers in Bloomington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bloomington
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Bloomington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bloomington
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 43 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 58 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tahiti Intro, 41 reviews, 75 photos
- Moorea Intro, 33 reviews, 63 photos
- Egypt Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos
- Bora-Bora Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 35 reviews, 54 photos
- Vienna Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos
- Florida Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos
- Leuven Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos