"Lillois all the year round" Lillois-Witterzée by Muya

Lillois-Witterzée Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 5 photos

Welcome to Brabant Wallon !

The Belgian province of Brabant Wallon is well-known for the nice and peaceful landscapes that punctuates its countryside. Well, Lillois perfectly fits this definition... ideally situated, between Braine l’Alleud and Nivelles, next to Waterloo, and only 20 kms away from Brussels. A village that has kept its rural aspect, inspite of the building frensy so characteristic for our times. Inevitably, a lot of new houses have popped out of the ground these last 10 years. But fields and meadows still enchant the view, well at least in the part where I have lived for more than 20 years... How agreable to watch horses gazing quietly, just behind your backyard ! Or cows abstractedly munching in the prairie next door…
In front of my house, the view stretches in the fields to the Ferme Del’Tour and the Chapelle Saint Martin…a peaceful view too, particularly when the chapel is illuminated at night.

Life in the countryside...

But proximity with cows can sometimes cause you some surprises… I remember when I was a little girl, I woke up one morning to find a cow gazing in my garden ! I first thought I was still asleep, but after rubbing strongly my eyes several times, I had to admit that the cow was still there…quite a choc for a seven-year old :-)

Step back in time !

The first records of Lillois in history date back to 966 under the name of "Lentlo". It will then become Lelos in 1207, then
Lillos in 1518 and finally Lillois since 1823. The word Lelo, at the origin of its name, means "linden " in waloon.

But the entity was actually made of two villages, Lillois and Witerzee, the first one being essentially settled by religious communities in the Middle Ages, and the second under the authority of the knights of Witterzee. They both had later their own churches and coat of arms, belonging to two families, the Caverson and the Mertens. It is only in 1823 that both villages were merged into one : Lillois-Witerzée.

Quite a rich history if you dig a bit...
Lillois offers various wandering paths to discover numerous vestiges, witnesses of the village’s past. Have a walk in Lillois and discover the old windmill, the Saint Martin Chapel, and the numerous farms !

• Intro Updated Aug 20, 2009

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Hello featured member! You live in a peaceful place :)) Salutations!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Merci! Very quiet and nice!

• RawdgerDodger's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 8:34 AM

Great tips on Belgium. I am going there in a month from now. I am going to be staying in Bruges. I can't wait to go. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. C'est tres cool. Rawdger Dodger

• Annec_79's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2006 at 5:48 AM

Mon djeu! Quééééé belle histoire, ces petits chien... It's too funny! Hahaha... (j'rigole, cousine, c'est mimi à donf! lol

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2006 at 5:06 PM

You are right ...Cuzco is cute!! Have a wonderful birthday.:-) Gret pictures and tips.

• Mistral16's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2005 at 9:25 PM

I love your pics of the Lillois countryside. Reminds me of rural upstate New York state (U.S.) where I grew up. Your writing and historical perspective are excellent and informative. You should be a travel writer!

• Mwildrick's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 8:40 PM

I was in belgium this time last year and it was awesome.... I can't wait to go back!

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2005 at 5:28 AM

trop fort les tichiens ;-) Et pour répondre à ta question de maimara, oui on a acheté le recuerdo, Charles le garde en souvenir chez lui!

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2005 at 1:46 AM

Hi there, Mumu ... Wondered where your hometown was and was suprised. So close, yet so different. And the picture is wonderful. Please, tell us more. Greetings, Paul

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 1:50 PM

Wow, what a great snow you have here, but we have enough snow in Finland, when I am in Belgium, I am more interested on the beer :-)

Muya Used To Live Here!

Muya

“Your planet needs you... time to act !”

Badges & Stats in Lillois-Witterzée

Have you been to Lillois-Witterzée?

Latest Activity in Lillois-Witterzée