"Rauma – a city of lace" Top 5 Page for this destination Rauma by Muya
Rauma Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 222 photos
Charming little town on the Gulf of Botnia, which lays on UNESCO’s world heritage list…and my favourite place in Finland until now. I loved to stroll through it’s old streets and picturesque wooden houses with pastel-coloured façades. It is an outstanding example of an old Nordic city constructed in wood ! And only 50 km away from Turku...
Rauma was build next to an old harbour in 1442, which makes of it the third oldest town in Finland. It developped around a XVth century’s Franciscan Monastery. A canal, the Raumanjoki, splits the town into its past and present time, crossing Rauma in its middle.
People in Rauma speak a distinctive dialect, which is called the Rauma language. This language is only spoken in the Rauma district and contains plenty of words from the Swedish and English, but also Estonian, Russian, and French languages.
In spite of the incredibly cold weather, I must say it was one of my favorite visits in Finland. I had the strange impression that I could feel the past everywhere, as if it was leaking out of the old houses’walls…and this atmosphere was made even more special by the heavily loaded sky.
Have a warm tea or a hot chocolate as a warm up after walking the streets in the cold :-) With a pulla of course !!... more travel advice
The Old Town Hall and its impressive clock tower was build in 1776 mainly in baroque-style. It now houses Rauma’s... more travel advice
Muya's Related Pages
Rauma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rauma – a city of lace"
- "Rauma - a medieval town"
- "Rauma - The Old World Heritage Town"
- "RAUMA - OL NIIGON GOTONAS!"
- "Rauma - Old Rauma (Unesco World Heritage)"
- "Rauma - West coast of Finland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rauma
- Hotels in Rauma
- Transportation in Rauma
- Nightlife in Rauma
- Restaurants in Rauma
- Shopping in Rauma
- Warnings and Dangers in Rauma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rauma
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Rauma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rauma
Photos in RaumaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 43 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 58 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tahiti Intro, 41 reviews, 75 photos
- Moorea Intro, 33 reviews, 63 photos
- Egypt Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos
- Bora-Bora Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 35 reviews, 54 photos
- Vienna Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos
- Florida Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos
- Leuven Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos