"Rauma – a city of lace" Top 5 Page for this destination Rauma by Muya

Rauma Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 222 photos

Charming little town on the Gulf of Botnia, which lays on UNESCO’s world heritage list…and my favourite place in Finland until now. I loved to stroll through it’s old streets and picturesque wooden houses with pastel-coloured façades. It is an outstanding example of an old Nordic city constructed in wood ! And only 50 km away from Turku...

Rauma was build next to an old harbour in 1442, which makes of it the third oldest town in Finland. It developped around a XVth century’s Franciscan Monastery. A canal, the Raumanjoki, splits the town into its past and present time, crossing Rauma in its middle.

People in Rauma speak a distinctive dialect, which is called the Rauma language. This language is only spoken in the Rauma district and contains plenty of words from the Swedish and English, but also Estonian, Russian, and French languages.

In spite of the incredibly cold weather, I must say it was one of my favorite visits in Finland. I had the strange impression that I could feel the past everywhere, as if it was leaking out of the old houses’walls…and this atmosphere was made even more special by the heavily loaded sky.

• Last visit to Rauma: Oct 2001
  • Intro Written Mar 3, 2005

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 7:54 PM

This is the best part of VT, Mumu. I get to visit and enjoy places that I've never heard of. This little place looks so quaint and charming. The hot chocolate would hit the spot, too.

Muya

“Your planet needs you... time to act !”

Badges & Stats in Rauma