"BUTRINT" Top 5 Page for this destination Butrint by Avieira67
Butrint Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 221 photos
Butrint, representing about 3,000 years of Mediterranean history, is situated in Southern Albania, just opposite Corfu, and was inhabited by Greeks, Romans, Byzantines and Venetians — its sixth century, B.C. fortification evokes the city's military power, and its third century, B.C. amphitheatre symbolizes the rich culture of the once thriving ancient city. Further, on the walls of the decaying temple dedicated to Asclepios, the Greek god of medicine, are the only examples of writing ever discovered in Butrint.
In 1992, this archeological site was included on the World Heritage List.
In 2000, 29 km2 of historical landscape, archaeology and environment were protected under the creation of The Butrint National Park, a Unesco World Heritage Site.
This gate, built in the 4th century BC, is one of the best preserved ancient gateways in Butrint and possibly remained in use throughout the history of the city with very little modification. The pavement visible nowadys is Byzantine.
It is supposed the carved stone lintel showing a lion was added to the gate in the 6th century AD. As a consequence of the insertion of this relief, from a Temple, the size of the gateway was considerably reduced. This gate was constructed between two parallel walls and was thus invisible from the lake.
Amphitheater [3rd century B.C.] - The stone banks of seating [twenty-three rows have been preserved] would have held an... more travel advice
Avieira67's Related Pages
Butrint Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Butrint, ancient Buthrotum"
- "Digging at Butrint"
- "COMBINATIONS OF CIVILISATION"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Butrint
- Hotels in Butrint
- Transportation in Butrint
- Nightlife in Butrint
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Butrint
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Butrint?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Butrint
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 63 reviews, 257 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 47 reviews, 155 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 43 reviews, 78 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- Diu Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos
- Zabljak Intro, 7 reviews, 33 photos
- Alappuzha Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos