"BUTRINT" Top 5 Page for this destination Butrint by Avieira67
Butrint Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 219 photos
Butrint, representing about 3,000 years of Mediterranean history, is situated in Southern Albania, just opposite Corfu, and was inhabited by Greeks, Romans, Byzantines and Venetians.
In 1992, this archeological site was included on the World Heritage List.
In 2000, 29 km2 of historical landscape, archaeology and environment were protected under the creation of The Butrint National Park, a Unesco World Heritage Site.
This gate, built in the 4th century BC, is one of the best preserved ancient gateways in Butrint and possibly remained in use throughout the history of the city with very little modification. The pavement visible nowadys is Byzantine.
It is supposed the carved stone lintel showing a lion was added to the gate in the 6th century AD. As a consequence of the insertion of this relief, from a Temple, the size of the gateway was considerably reduced. This gate was constructed between two parallel walls and was thus invisible from the lake.
Amphitheater [3rd century B.C.] - The stone banks of seating [twenty-three rows have been preserved] would have held an... more travel advice
Avieira67's Related Pages
Butrint Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Butrint, ancient Buthrotum"
- "Digging at Butrint"
- "The World Heritage Butrint."
- "COMBINATIONS OF CIVILISATION"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Butrint
- Hotels in Butrint
- Transportation in Butrint
- Nightlife in Butrint
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Butrint
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Butrint?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Butrint
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 62 reviews, 258 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 56 reviews, 199 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 47 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 58 reviews, 127 photos
- Mongolia Intro, 30 reviews, 139 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 34 reviews, 70 photos
- Rome Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 22 reviews, 66 photos
- Tirana Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos