"ANGRA DO HEROÍSMO" Angra do Heroísmo by Avieira67
Angra do Heroísmo Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 51 photos
Capital of the Azores until 1832, when central administration was transferred to Ponta Delgada, and capital of Terceira, Queen Maria II bestowed the name Heroísmo upon the town for the resistance it offered the troops of King Miguel in 1829.
This town was built in the 16th century, with many houses dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. For three centuries it was the meeting point between Europe, África and América, due to its central position on the Sargasso trading route. Already considered to be a regional monument, in 1983 by UNESCO it was declared world historic patrimony.
The town centre, which extends to Angra bay, has a linear layout, gradually rising towards the north. One of the main streets is Rua de Lisboa, which leads from the harbour to the Praça da Restauração where the imposing palace of the Paços do Concelho [Town Hall] stands. The older houses are built in the traditional rustic fashion against a background of green hills; meticulously whitewashed, with only one floor, they are distinguished from other country houses in the Azores and mainland Portugal by their sash-win dows, the use of which is now obligatory.
A charming restaurant in downtown. I found here a good service for a good price. Some desserts are home made. Fried or... more travel advice
Avieira67's Related Pages
Angra do Heroísmo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ANGRA DO HEROÍSMO"
- "Angra do Heroismo, Terceira"
- "Angra do Heroismo"
- "Home of the rebel"
- "Angra do Heroísmo, jewel of Terceira"
- "Terra di Mare"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angra do Heroísmo
- Hotels in Angra do Heroísmo
- Restaurants in Angra do Heroísmo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angra do Heroísmo
- 19 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Angra do Heroísmo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angra do Heroísmo
Photos in Angra do HeroísmoSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 62 reviews, 258 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 56 reviews, 122 photos
- Mongolia Intro, 30 reviews, 139 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 109 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 32 reviews, 69 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Ribeira Grande Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos
- Larnaca Intro, 14 reviews, 58 photos