"Furnas Parish" Furnas by Avieira67
Furnas Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 56 photos
This picturesque parish belongs to the municipality of Povoação. The population in 2011 was 1,439, its density is 42.5 inhab./km² and the area is 33.88 km². The parish is one of the largest in the island and in the Azores. It is located 45 km east of Ponta Delgada, west of Povoação village and southeast of Ribeira Grande.
A private botanic garden called Parque Terra Nostra with a swimming pool served by natural hot ironwater invites you to spend a couple of hours or, even, a whole day.
Mineral gasificated waters are present almost everywere, especially around the geyser's, and run to the river going to Ribeira Quente. The only mineral water without gas, Gloria Patri, commercialized in the Island, is produced in this village. Also here, you find a modern modern Thermal Centre.
Besides the beautiful lake, which can be better appreciated from Miradouro do Pico do Ferro, close to Golf Field Batalha, Caldeiras/fumarolas (small geisers and spots) decore the village.
In a place not far from the botanic garden you find a hot spot Poça da Dona Beija where you are invited to have a warm bath.
This was a charming small grotto with 7 meters long and 3 meters width, but now it is almost completely destroyed by... more travel advice
Around this lake there are spots where the delicious dishes [cozido à portuguesa] or [cozido de bacalhau] are made. You... more travel advice
Avieira67's Related Pages
Furnas Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Furnas
- 6 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Furnas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Furnas
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 63 reviews, 263 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 44 reviews, 81 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- Ribeira Grande Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mandalay Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Diu Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos