"Ponta Delgada" Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada by Avieira67
Ponta Delgada Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 344 photos
This former fishing village, became the capital of São Miguel Island in 1546 after the destruction, by a earthquake, of the former capital, Vila Franca do Campo.
With a population of about 60.000 inhabitants, Ponta Delgada is the main political and administrative centre of the Region and the seat of the University and Regional government.This municipality is the largest place in the Azores.
The impact of a prosperous international trade, especially with Flanders and England, during the 18th and 19th centuries, is witnessed by the rich architectural heritage of Ponta Delgada, comprising many palaces, churches and manor houses, where the Baroque style is prevailing, mixed with curious examples of urban architecture from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, testimonies of the island’s connection with the rest of the world.
The flat, rectangular city of Ponta Delgada stretches for about 3 km along an amazing bay, with some houses sprawling on the gently sloping green hills in the backdrop, offers a picturesque sight for everybody arriving from the sea. In spite of the various architectural styles of the city, the visitor is struck by a great harmony.
This city is small and you can easily make a walking tour. Your best way to walk is taking the avenue along the sea as reference. Anyway, the city is served by a cheap minibus service and, if you wish a personalised tour, take the Lagarta Tours.
If you want to visit this city, I recommend: Portas da Cidade, Igreja de São Sebastião, Paços do Concelho. Going some metres to the Estern side you will find Igreja de São Pedro. Then, go back to the Western side as far as the amazing Praça 5 de Outubro. Here you will find the Convento e Capela de Nossa Senhora da Esperança, Igreja de São José, the Monumento ao Emigrante and, jus a foot from there, the Forte de São Brás. Then move to Palácio da Conceição, in front of the small Jardim Sena de Freitas, and pass the Liceu, a former Palace. Go, through Rua Machado dos Santos and take the right street to Igreja de Todos-os Santos beside a garden dedicated to a philosopher, Jardim Antero de Quental, and the Livraria Pública e Arquivos de Ponta Delgada. Follow the main street and reach the Museu Carlos Machado. After visiting the museum, take the right street to Jardim José do Canto and Palácio de Sant'Ana. Then take your time and go as far as Jardim António Borges. If you like to visit cemeteries, visit the Cemitério de São Joaquim, on the way to this Garden.
If you like municipal markets, don't miss the city market on Friday and Saturday morning. Just inside the city, it is worth a visit to the lavic cave Gruta do Carvão.
Well, you will discover by yourself other interesting sites such as Portas do Mar, Marina... Not far from the city there is a good beach, Praia das Milícias, easily reached by local bus.
There are many CRP coaches a day linking these cities. Há muitas camionetas CRP por dia que ligam estas cidades. more travel advice
There is a shuttle bus linking the airport to downtown. This bus departes from the airport about 20 minutes after the... more travel advice
Avieira67's Related Pages
Ponta Delgada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ponta Delgada"
- "Ponta Delgada"
- "The lovely capital of the Azores."
- "Ponta Delgada"
- "Ponta Delgada, the Azores"
- "Streets and Houses"
- "ponta delgada capital of sao miguel dos acores"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ponta Delgada
- Hotels in Ponta Delgada
- Transportation in Ponta Delgada
- Nightlife in Ponta Delgada
- Restaurants in Ponta Delgada
- Shopping in Ponta Delgada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ponta Delgada
- 54 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Ponta Delgada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ponta Delgada
- updated a Ponta Delgada Travel Page "Ponta Delgada"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bus from Ponta Delgada to Ribeira Grande"
- Wrote a Review Bus from Ponta Delgada to Ribeira Grande in Ponta Delgada Transportation
- Posted in Travel Mandalay Forum "Re: Myanmar"
- Commented on one of Avieira67's Ponta Delgada travel pages
Photos in Ponta DelgadaSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 63 reviews, 263 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 54 reviews, 97 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- Larnaca Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos
- Paphos Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos
- Ribeira Grande Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mandalay Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos