"RIBEIRA GRANDE" Ribeira Grande by Avieira67
Ribeira Grande Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 85 photos
Ribeira Grande in Portuguese means large river. In fact this municipality located on the central part of São Miguel Island, with a population of 29,318 inhabitants, is crossed by a large river.
The seat of the municipality, Ribeira Grande city, with a population of 5,300 inhabitants, is linked with an express way to Ponta Delgada, the capital located about 14 km southeast. These cities are well connected by public transportation.
The municipality comprises 14 parishes, including the big fishing village of Rabo de Peixe and the picturesque village of Porto Formoso, where we find one of the two tea factories and Praia dos Moinhos beach.
In this municipality is located Pico da Barrosa (Barrosa Peak), in which crater we find one of the most interesting landscape of the Azores, Lagoa do Fogo (Fogo lake). This lake is accessible through a road passing by Caldeira Velha, a natural swimming pool, served by hot water from a waterfall, located in a protected natural garden.
This is not a tourist place, but it is ideal to know genuine local people. This kind of restaurants offers local dishes... more travel advice
This parish church, which is located in Ribeira Seca, is linked to the traditional festivity Cavalhadas. It was built in... more travel advice
Avieira67's Related Pages
Ribeira Grande Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIBEIRA GRANDE"
- "My Ribeira Grande page"
- "Ribeira Grande"
- "Ribeira Grande"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ribeira Grande
- 14 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Ribeira Grande?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ribeira Grande
Photos in Ribeira GrandeSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 63 reviews, 263 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- Ribeira Grande Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Diu Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Mandalay Intro, 12 reviews, 41 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos