"Ilha de São Jorge" São Jorge by Avieira67
São Jorge Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 9 photos
São Jorge Island, with a lengh of 56 km and a maximun width of 8 km, is located at the north of Pico Island and at the west of Terceira Island.
This island was created by sucessive volcanic erruptions in a straight line, to which craters remain, its central platform has an average altitude of 700 metres. The coast is steep, almost vertical, particularly in the north, although the cliffs are interrupted by small coastal flat areas called Fajãs (coves).
Being isolated at the past, nowadays the modern and safe seaports and an airport, allowed São Jorge to new horizons of richness and progress; of which joining the exploration of it's natural resources, and the expansion of cattle raising, fishing, and the making of the famous São Jorge cheese, without forgetting the precious and unique, artwork in cotton of the Fajã dos Vimes and cedar wood from the Ribeira Seca, as well as the construction of fishing boats in Calheta and Topo.
Velas is the capital of the island.
It take sonly 35 minutes to terceira Island by plane. more travel advice
This church was built in the XVIII century and houses a great colection of tiles. more travel advice
Avieira67's Related Pages
São Jorge Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in São Jorge
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to São Jorge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in São Jorge
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 63 reviews, 263 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- Ribeira Grande Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Diu Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Mandalay Intro, 12 reviews, 41 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos