"Ilha de São Miguel" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel by Avieira67
Ilha de São Miguel Travel Guide: 196 reviews and 645 photos
São Miguel, with 747km2 and 137.699 inhabitants (data from 2011), is the largest Island of the Azores.
The process of populating of the Island was initiated in 1444 by peoples from Mainland Portugal and some from various European countries, especially France.
In 1522, an earthquake destroyed Vila Franca do Campo, and Ponta Delgada became the new capital.
After the autonomy, São Miguel is the principal political and administrative centre of Region and seat of the Regional government.
Due to its volcanic origin, the Island presents wonderful landscapes. Lagoa das Sete Cidades, a protected landscape and one of the seven natural wonders of Portugal, is situated at the west side of the island in Sete Cidades. When going down to this caldeira, one can see Lagoa de Santiago on your left side.
In the middle of the island there is Lagoa do Fogo, probably the most interesting landscape in the Azores.
Going from the city of Ribeira Grande to this lake, you must stop at Caldeira Velha.
Furnas is a picturesque village in a valley, well-known by the lake, geisers and botanic garden. Close to here, you reach Ribeira Quente, a typical fishing village with an amazing bay beach.
At Nordeste municipality, we find the highest mountain of the island - Pico da Vara - 1103m, which is also a nature reserve. In this municipality, enjoy the nature through the tourist viewing points such as Salto da Farinha, Ponta do Sossego and Ponta da Madrugada. The latter is popular among locals for sunrise during the Summer. If you want to feel the nature, go to Tronqueira by off-road vehicle. At Achada parish you must visit the beautiful waterfall and the Natural Park of Ribeira dos Caldeirões around it.
If you are looking for personalized tours, don't hesitate to contact Festitour, a great company offering an excellent service.
- Pros:The volcanic landscape
- Cons:The volcanic origin
In the high season, is possible to travel in the Azores by ferryboat, especially between the Eastern Group Islands, São... more travel advice
Se vem visitar a ilha por poucos dias, devia considerar a possibilidade de alugar um carro. Eis algumas agências de... more travel advice
Avieira67's Related Pages
Ilha de São Miguel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ilha de São Miguel"
- "Very green and diverse island."
- "Ilha de São Miguel"
- "Açores - The Green Island"
- "A pearl in the Atlantic"
- "The green island"
- "The Azores"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha de São Miguel
- Hotels in Ilha de São Miguel
- Transportation in Ilha de São Miguel
- Restaurants in Ilha de São Miguel
- Shopping in Ilha de São Miguel
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilha de São Miguel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha de São Miguel
- 39 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Ilha de São Miguel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha de São Miguel
- Wrote a Review Ferry connections in the Azores in Ilha de São Miguel Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ferry connections in the Azores"
- updated a Ilha de São Miguel Travel Page "Ilha de São Miguel"
- Commented on one of Avieira67's Ilha de São Miguel tips
- Posted in Travel Mandalay Forum "Re: Myanmar"
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 63 reviews, 263 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 56 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 39 reviews, 115 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 109 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Ribeira Grande Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Larnaca Intro, 14 reviews, 58 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- Paphos Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- Sete Cidades Intro, 13 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue