"Assos" Top 5 Page for this destination Assos by Avieira67
Assos Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 202 photos
Assos was founded in the 8th century BC by colonists from Lesvos Island (Greece), who built the Temple to Athena in 530 BC.
During its greatest prosperity, ruled by Hermias of Atarneus, philosophers moved to the city. In 348 BC Aristotle came here and married King Hermeias's niece, Pythia, before leaving to Lesvos three years later in 345 BC. This 'golden period' of Assos ended several years later when the Persians arrived, and subsequently tortured Hermias to death.
The Persians were eventually driven out by Alexander the Great. Between 241 and 133 BC, the city was ruled by the Kings of Pergamum.
Saint Paul also visited the city during his third missionary journey through Asia Minor, which was between 53-57 AD.
Avieira67's Related Pages
Assos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Behramkale and Assos"
- "Assos - Behramkale"
- "splendid and unspoiled site facing lesbos"
- "Assos - Greek legacy overlooking the sea"
- "history and nature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Assos
- Hotels in Assos
- Transportation in Assos
- Restaurants in Assos
- Shopping in Assos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Assos
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Assos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Assos
Photos in AssosSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 63 reviews, 263 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 44 reviews, 81 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- Ribeira Grande Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mandalay Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Diu Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos