"BEHRAMKALE - ASSOS" Top 5 Page for this destination Assos by Avieira67
Assos Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 204 photos
Behramkale, or Assos is a small historically rich town located in the Ayvacık district, Çanakkale Province. It was founded in the 8th century BC by colonists from Lesvos Island, Greece, who built the Temple to Athena in 530 BC.
During its greatest prosperity, ruled by Hermias of Atarneus, philosophers moved to the city. In 348 BC Aristotle came here and married King Hermeias's niece, Pythia, before leaving to Lesvos three years later.
This golden period of Assos ended several years later when the Persians arrived, and subsequently tortured Hermias to death.
The Persians were eventually driven out by Alexandre the Great. Between 241 and 133 BC, the city was ruled by the Kings of Pergamum.
Saint Paul also visited the city during his third missionary journey through Asia Minor, which was between 53-57 AD.
This town comprises two parts: the upper part, dominated by the main tourist attraction, the Temple of Athena, remains on the top of a hill overlooking the sea, and the lower coastal part, used to be the harbour of the town in the past. Both parts are linked by a very steep road that takes about 25 minutes to walk up.
Besides the Temple of Athena, in the Acropolis, the Theatre deserves a visit.
I was expecting to stay in the upper part, close to the Old Ottoman bridge but, as the guesthouse was closed, the bus driver directed me to another place in the coastal part.
This theatre was built in the 3rd century BC on the slope to the south of the agora. It has a capacity for 5,000... more travel advice
Avieira67's Related Pages
Assos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Behramkale and Assos"
- "BEHRAMKALE - ASSOS"
- "Assos - Behramkale"
- "splendid and unspoiled site facing lesbos"
- "Assos - Greek legacy overlooking the sea"
- "history and nature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Assos
- Hotels in Assos
- Transportation in Assos
- Restaurants in Assos
- Shopping in Assos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Assos
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Assos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Assos
Photos in AssosSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 62 reviews, 258 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 56 reviews, 123 photos
- Mongolia Intro, 30 reviews, 139 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 109 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Ribeira Grande Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Larnaca Intro, 14 reviews, 58 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- Paphos Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos