"The Undiscovered Island" Diu by Avieira67
Diu Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 46 photos
In 1535, Diu island, with an area of 38.8km2, lying off the south coast Gujarat's Kathiawar peninsula, was offered to the Portuguese as a reward for military aid they gave to the Sultan Bahadur Shah of Gujarat against the Great Mogul of Delhi. From this time and until 1961, the district of Diu was under Portuguese rule. The first governor of the Island was Dom Nuno da Cunha.
The district of Diu occupies an area of 40km2 and comprises the Island of Diu and the small continental enclaves of Gogolá and Simbor. The latter, occupying only 910m2, is located 20 km east of Diu Island and comprises two strips of land, on either side of the River Vançoso, and an Islet home of the Fort Santo António de Simbor.
The walled town of Diu lies at the eastern end of the island, and is famous for its fortress and old Portuguese Cathedral.
According to the 2011 census, this district had a population of 52,056.
Part of this church was into a museum, housing a lot of important antique statues, inscriptions on the stone by the... more travel advice
Diu Fort was constructed between 1535 and 1541 as the result of a defense alliance between the king of Gujarat and the... more travel advice
Avieira67's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Diu
- 14 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Diu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Diu
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 62 reviews, 258 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 56 reviews, 122 photos
- Mongolia Intro, 30 reviews, 139 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 109 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 32 reviews, 69 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Ribeira Grande Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos
- Larnaca Intro, 14 reviews, 58 photos