"The State Capital" Panaji by Avieira67
Panaji Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 140 photos
Pangim, Panaji, Panjim or Nova Goa, with a population of 65,000 in the city and approximately 100,000 in the metropolitan area, is the third largest city of the state of Goa, after Vasco da Gama and Margão. It is the headquarters of North Goa District and capital of the state since 1843 when the old capital, Velha Goa, was abandoned due to plague.
This city is located on the left bank of the Mandovi River, in the district of North Goa, piled up against terraced hills, a jumble of concrete buildings with whimsical balconies and red-tiled roofs, white churches and a riverside promenade, with red-roofed houses built in Latin style. It also has modern houses, well laid gardens, statues and avenues lined with gulmohar, acacia and other trees. The Baroque church on the main square, pretty villas, cobbled streets and interesting buildings give Panaji a Portuguese ambience.
Must see places in Pangim: Adil Shah Khan or Idalcão's Palace; The Church Square; Fontaínhas is an old place in the city - the narrow streets give the impression of the Portuguese-planned town; São Tomé is another ancient landmark.
Avieira67's Related Pages
Panaji Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Panaji (Panjim) and Old Goa"
- "A Funky Good Time"
- "The State Capital"
- "A little feel of Portugal in Goa, India"
- "State capital of Goa"
- "calangute beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Panaji
- Hotels in Panaji
- Transportation in Panaji
- Restaurants in Panaji
- Shopping in Panaji
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Panaji
- 15 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Panaji?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panaji
Photos in PanajiSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 62 reviews, 258 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 56 reviews, 199 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 47 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 58 reviews, 127 photos
- Mongolia Intro, 30 reviews, 139 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 34 reviews, 70 photos
- Rome Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos
- Bagan Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 22 reviews, 66 photos
- Tirana Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos