Banff National Park Local Custom Tips by scottishvisitor Top 5 Page for this destination
Banff National Park Local Customs: 39 reviews and 37 photos
Finding locally produced products in Banff is a hard task. Most craft items are mass produced in the far east - a hard fact of mass tourisim. Indian head wear and the popular dream catchers are all made from feathers from lands far removed from here TBC
What's in a name
Banff in Canada shares its name with the much older small town of Banff in Aberdeenshire. It is here the similarity ends. However there is a connection between the two, this relates to hunting and trapping TBC
I see you Baby
These cheeky little fellows popped up everywhere and were a joy to see. Please do not feed them although they will squeek for your attention = when tourists are thin on the ground they have to survive on their own
Banff like the rest of Canada has dual language of English and French. In Banff township we did notice a lot of Japanese writing in shops and other tourist spots. A very old language system was also evident carved in wood
Jimmy Simpson Mountain
Mount Jimmy Simpson is named after the English guider and trapper who emigrated to Winipeg in 1896. He then found his way to Banff after shunning the farming life. He was known as the Grand Old Man of the Mountains, two years after his death aged 95 Mount Simpson bore his name.
Memorial Church United
The pretty llittle white church is located at 102 Banff Avenue on the corner of Buffallo Avenue. Designed by architect John Manuel of Winnigeg in the Gothic Revival style. The church was built in 1927. The base of the church is designed with locally quarried rundle stone creating a natural look in keeping with the mountains surrounding her.
AWAITING THE RETURN OF MY HUMAN
JUST LOVED THE IDEA OF TAKING YOU'RE FOUR LEGGED FRIEND ON HOLIDAY - UNFORTUNATLEY BRITIAN STILL HAS QUARANTEEN LAWS SO MY POUCH HAS TO STAY HOME - SHE WOULD HAVE LOVED BANFF NATIONAL PARK
Sad story to read in the Lake Louise Visitors Centre about the bear who had to be killed because she kept coming back to Lake Louise. Apparently the bear & her cubs were airlifted out & set free many miles away from the tourists, but the adult female returned twice to her home & paid the price with her life.
Maybe that's why I never saw a bear!!
Animals have right of way
Crossing the reservoir bridge at Minnewanka we had to stop to allow this young herd of big horn sheep to pass very close to the car - a truely memorable experience.
More Reviews (28)
- Great Scenery
- See All Lots of good shopping in Lake Louise...
- See All Buying a Park Pass is a definate Thing...
- See All Take some CD's to play in the car
scottishvisitor's Related Pages
Banff National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "under re construction please come back"
- "The Canadian Rockies"
- "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- "Banff National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banff National Park
- Hotels in Banff National Park
- Transportation in Banff National Park
- Nightlife in Banff National Park
- Restaurants in Banff National Park
- Shopping in Banff National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Banff National Park
- 37 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Banff National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff National Park
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Can't rate any pages"
- Commented on one of Hermanater's Banff National Park travel pages
- updated a Banff National Park Travel Page "under re construction please come back"
- Wrote a Review Great Scenery about Banff National Park in Banff National Park Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "TAKE YOUR DOG ON VACATION"
Photos in Banff National ParkSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 71 reviews, 212 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 39 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 62 reviews, 133 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 48 reviews, 136 photos
- Kilmartin Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 33 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Intro, 28 reviews, 137 photos
- London Intro, 54 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Elgin Intro, 27 reviews, 114 photos
- Ellmau Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (59)
Latest Banff National Park hotel reviews
- Brewster's Kananaskis Guest Ranch
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2011
- Bow Valley Motel
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Patricia Lake Bungalows
- 491 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- The Glacier View Inn
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Banff Springs Hotel
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Mt. Engadine Lodge
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2013
- Moraine Lake/ Valley of Ten Peaks- 40 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Peyto Lake- 28 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Johnston Canyon- 24 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Lakes /Mountains /Glaciers / Waterfalls- 48 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Icefields Parkway- 32 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Hiking/Trails- 20 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Lake Louise/Chateau Lake Louise.- 42 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Sulphur Mountain Gondola- 13 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Bow Lake- 14 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Banff Springs Hotel/Bannf Hot Springs- 21 Reviews, 17 Photos
See All Banff National Park Things to Do