"The Granite City" Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen by scottishvisitor

Aberdeen Travel Guide: 490 reviews and 903 photos

Summer is near Aberdeen

Aber in Scottish Gaelic means mouth of a river, the scenic River Dee flows through the City giving Aberdeen her name. Known affectionaly as the Granite City for its pale grey granite architecture and also nicknamed The Oil Capital of Europe. Despite what some would say as a 'Grey Toon' I find Aberdeen, Scotland's third largest city, a green city. The judges in the "Britian in Bloom" competion keep giving Aberdeen 'The City in Bloom Award' and well deserved.

Off the Beaten Path

Cruden Bay is much too tiny to be included here on VT but none the less very beautiful, so I have a selection of 'Off the Beaten Path' tips and photos, mostly showing the little Village known locally as just Cruden. Interestingly, to me any way, the name derives from Scottish Gaelic 'Croch Dain' meaning 'Slaughter of the Danes' after a battle fought here in 1012, but be assured there are no battles today in Cruden, only battles with the weather, but that too can have a positive effect.
The update is on Cruden Bay in the 'off the beaten path section' of my page = I revisited the woods to take some almost summer pictures and walked the track with Cuileanne to acquaint her with the horses.

Nature is always near

I love the end of spring and the beginning of summer! Five days of brilliant sunshine during the end of May and into the beginning of June - Can our luck hold through the remaining months of Summer? I do hope so!

• Pros:This is Castle Country
  • Cons:Some times it becomes all too familiar
  • In a nutshell:City Life - Beach Life - Country Life
  • Intro Updated Jun 3, 2009

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Have just read your Cruden Bay tips. We camped on the harbour at Port Erroll in our motorhome in August, were made most welcome. We loved the place and the locals who would stop and chat to us.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Lovely tips and wonderful pictures! Aberdeen looks so green and pretty.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2010 at 2:53 AM

Hi Joan, Aberdeen looks like a nice place to be. A friend of mine works there, so I might be able sometime to visit. I'll definitely go for a stroll on the beach then. Thanks for sharing.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2010 at 3:04 AM

I have finished my tour of Aberdeen and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would love those quaint Fishermen's cottages, thought the Bullers of buchan sounded nice, also the local paintings for sale at the gift shop.

• Jan 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Henry Bain Smith studied in London and died shortly after the Burns statue was unveiled, aged 36 I'm extremely proud of this sculpture as he was my ancestor. I have a photo which I hope to upload

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 5:17 AM

Excellent travel page of your home city with stunning photographs. Aberdeen has lots of interesting attractions such as churches, beaches, museums, castles and theatres. Castle Gate and Hazelhead Park attract us the most. ~ho & pang

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Spectacular scenery! Thanks for giving us a virtual tour of your village, it really is lovely! Wallace's fate makes us remember how cruel people can be. Liked the updates with lovely new pictures.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 7:21 AM

It's been nearly a year since I last looked at this page, so I thought I'd check back for additions. Interesting updates on the long granite façade and the River Ythan and the Castle Gate area.

• holly39's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM

i love the picture of the cat

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2009 at 10:05 AM

~ <(0)>~ Hello, Joan! It is wonderful scenery indeed! Thanx for your nice page!~ <(0)>~.

scottishvisitor Lives Here!

scottishvisitor

“Look for the simple things in life”

Badges & Stats in Aberdeen

Have you been to Aberdeen?

Latest Activity in Aberdeen