"The Granite City" Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen by scottishvisitor
Aberdeen Travel Guide: 490 reviews and 903 photos
Aber in Scottish Gaelic means mouth of a river, the scenic River Dee flows through the City giving Aberdeen her name. Known affectionaly as the Granite City for its pale grey granite architecture and also nicknamed The Oil Capital of Europe. Despite what some would say as a 'Grey Toon' I find Aberdeen, Scotland's third largest city, a green city. The judges in the "Britian in Bloom" competion keep giving Aberdeen 'The City in Bloom Award' and well deserved.
Cruden Bay is much too tiny to be included here on VT but none the less very beautiful, so I have a selection of 'Off the Beaten Path' tips and photos, mostly showing the little Village known locally as just Cruden. Interestingly, to me any way, the name derives from Scottish Gaelic 'Croch Dain' meaning 'Slaughter of the Danes' after a battle fought here in 1012, but be assured there are no battles today in Cruden, only battles with the weather, but that too can have a positive effect.
The update is on Cruden Bay in the 'off the beaten path section' of my page = I revisited the woods to take some almost summer pictures and walked the track with Cuileanne to acquaint her with the horses.
I love the end of spring and the beginning of summer! Five days of brilliant sunshine during the end of May and into the beginning of June - Can our luck hold through the remaining months of Summer? I do hope so!
- Pros:This is Castle Country
- Cons:Some times it becomes all too familiar
- In a nutshell:City Life - Beach Life - Country Life
The track runs parallel to Auchiries Road, a small minor road which connects to the main Peterhead/Aberdeen road. We... more travel advice
The long Granite Facade in Union Street includes the buildings of the Town House and the City Sheriff Court. It is part... more travel advice
- See All Remembering Piper Alpha
- See All Go and see the Don's in action & their...
- See All Take a Ferry from Aberdeen Harbour
- Take in the sea air in the evening
- See All Dine in an Old Mill
scottishvisitor's Related Pages
Aberdeen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Granite City"
- "Aberdeen - The Granite City"
- "Aberdeen, A great base to see the Grampians"
- "about time..."
- "Highland Games, Stone Circles, Castles & Friends!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aberdeen
- Hotels in Aberdeen
- Transportation in Aberdeen
- Nightlife in Aberdeen
- Restaurants in Aberdeen
- Shopping in Aberdeen
- Warnings and Dangers in Aberdeen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aberdeen
- 71 Reviews
- 210 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 146 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Aberdeen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aberdeen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 71 reviews, 212 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 39 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 62 reviews, 133 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 48 reviews, 136 photos
- Kilmartin Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 33 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Intro, 28 reviews, 137 photos
- London Intro, 54 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Elgin Intro, 27 reviews, 114 photos
- Ellmau Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos