"Banff goes way back to 1100 ad" Banff by scottishvisitor

Banff Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 51 photos

A short visit to Banff

A road trip up the North East Coast. Aberdeenshire but near the Moray Coast. Banff has Royal Connections with King Malcolm 1V who resided here in 1163, hence the name The Royal Burgh of Banff. Before the regions were centralized in Scotland Banff was in Banffshire where two fur trappers from Banffshire discovered Banff in Canada - must have been a reall culture shock for them as the only similarities are the name!!

• Pros:Lot's of history
  • Cons:Not enough information available
  • In a nutshell:If you like history & old Georgian Architecture this place is for you
  • Last visit to Banff: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 16, 2005

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Banff absolutely charming! To take the paths and explore everything would be wonderful. I enjoy your detail tips and lovely photography Joan. BTW, your grandson is sooo adorable!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2008 at 5:38 AM

Banff seems to be beautiful! I just know the Canadian one...

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 6:21 AM

I love the old architecture in Banff. And the Scottish-style houses along the base of the cliff are especially scenic.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Joan, fantastic and very informative page about this lovely Scottish region. Thanks for the info about "local Hero" being filmed in Pennan. I really like the Scottish seagulls as well. :-)

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2007 at 2:58 AM

Best wishes for a happy Christmas and New Year and great travels in 2008.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 5:04 PM

I see the church, I see the steeple, I see green fields, for farming people // I'm glad I dropped by the Coffee Pot for a brew this morning :~)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Yes, I believe strolling along this beautiful town and its area is a real pleasure... Fort Fiddes and seagulls. I wish I could see them. Thanks Joan for a splendid virtual travel!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 5:25 AM

I've enjoyed exploring Banff with you, and in particular seeing Pennan - good to know that it looks so much as it did in the film, which is one of my favourites!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 5:15 AM

Having spent a wet afternoon browsing 19th C Scottish Census records, a visit to Banff through your eyes was a great way to put myself there. leyle

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 6:18 AM

So far I had only heard about Banff in Canada, thanks for telling me about the Scottish Banff.

scottishvisitor

“Look for the simple things in life”

Badges & Stats in Banff