"Dornoch" Dornoch by scottishvisitor

Dornoch Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 110 photos

A Seaside Town

Dornoch is a small seaside town which sits on the Dornoch Firth in Sutherland. It is a pretty town built mainly of local red sandstone. When we visited the summer colours were vibrant, the beach delightful and the weather just perfect with blue skies and sunshine.

Dornoch's secluded beach

Dornoch has a large caravan park which proves popular in summer with families. The Beach adjacent to the park can be busy in summer - but the secret to seclution is a short walk onto the golf course and onto the second bay. Life really is a beach when you have all to yourself.

History dating back to the 13th. Century

Dornoch Cathedral is a compelling reason to visit. I know there are many greater Cathedrals but this one is wholesome and homely.

• Pros:A small compact town brimming over with history
  • Cons:I don't think it would be appealling in the rain
  • Last visit to Dornoch: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2009

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I remember the name of Dornoch and the look of the cathedral. Interesting page!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I just came back to enjoy the rest of your tips.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I like the mesuring stone! The golden figure on the fountain reminds me of the golden figures on the fountains at Peterhof near St. Petersburg.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Just making sure I haven't missed any tips here ;~)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Joan, gorgeous little page about this Scottish gem. As far as I remeber I once passed through Dornoch by train on the way from Inverness to Thurso up north. Is that possible?

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 12:20 PM

What a lovely town!!! I'd like to stay in the Bishops' Palace :)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Thank you Joan for another interesting page! Loved this wholesome and homely Cathedral. You’ve caught those summer colors and your pics are beautiful as always. Life is a beach? May be…

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Ah, I bet the dogs loved to play hide & seek in the beach grass :-) I love that cloth measuring device and will add it to my old measuring stuff :-) Oh my, how do I understand how mad the locals are with these stop-dead noise of the jets..

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM

What a pleasant place to explore, with so many attractive historic buildings! I would love to stay in the Bishops' Palace and do some shopping in the Old Town Jail :)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM

I really enjoyed your various little 'insider' bits of information on the history of Dornoch! That is quite a history both Dornoch Cathedral and the 'Castle' have! Your pics of Scotland are so beautiful too.

scottishvisitor

“Look for the simple things in life”

Badges & Stats in Dornoch

Have you been to Dornoch?

Latest Activity in Dornoch