"Lairg stuck in the middle with you" Lairg by scottishvisitor

Lairg Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 85 photos

A perfect base to explore Sutherland East or West

We stayed a little way out from Lairg at Invershin but the little village soon felt like home. It was here we shopped for everyday things. We drove through the village many times and visited the local attractions. Positioned almost in the middle of Sutherland, Lairg served as a good base to travel East or West and even up to the far North Coast at the very top of Scotland. Every morning we eagerly watched the weather forcast to see what was the best location for a day trip. East or West = Well West is best no matter the weather.

We did hope to encounter some wildlife

The deer which we had encountered during our visit at Easter during a late wintery season were long gone to the mountains and hills. The adorable Highland Cows were a scenic replacement.

Magestic Mountains framed with wild grasses

You have to travel many miles around here to get anywhere but one thing you will notice is there is serene beauty around every bend in the road.

• Last visit to Lairg: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2008

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Joan, another fantastic little page about a Scottlish Highlands gem. I passed Lairg twice by train. I just love train request stops. Did you know that I once stopped a train in Helmsdale when I was the only person on the platform?

• Jun 1, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Great tips!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Great page Joan! Would love to see the Salmons too :)

• Bigs's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2008 at 5:46 AM

Haven't seen any salmon either, but a bus of tourists from my hometown at the parking haha.....We did the forrest walk at the Invershin center..which was really nice... thanks for sharing your pics and tips

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2008 at 9:04 PM

I always enjoy looking at Highland cattle! But the sheep with a safet jacket is fun! The story of the unflorished mausoleum is good! Finding Mohamed Al Fayed in this part of Scotland must be amazing, haha!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 4:17 AM

I've been led to believe that the salmon do all eventually make it upstream. They wait n the pool below the falls and regain their strength. I expect the force of the water depends on how much rainfall there has been nearer the source.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2008 at 4:06 AM

I enjoyed reading your pages on Lairg. It certainly has it all - forests - hills - rivers with leaping salmon - and those mountains - Wow! Your cottage looks delightful. Now "scrummy" - is that scrumpteous & yummy???

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2008 at 8:51 AM

I was reading your page waiting for a ghost story, explaining why you would have been afraid to sleep in the cottage if you had known it was 19th century. Hope I didn't miss anything? Lovely page on a lovely area. Thanks for the wonderful virtual tour.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Lovely landscape! Oh my, waterfalls and salmons and all so green :-)) You really live in magic Scotland, Joan :-)) What happened after Kenny turned the stone?

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Wonderful place with million dollar views and photos on your page! Never heard of it before. Thanks Joan for the virtual tour!

scottishvisitor

“Look for the simple things in life”

Badges & Stats in Lairg