"The Blue Toon" Peterhead by scottishvisitor

Peterhead Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 62 photos

A Place with a growing population

Peterhead is the largest town in Aberdeenshire, it is by no means a pretty town, but more a working town. Its main industy is and has always been fishing, this used to be important to local people, providing work in the fish factories but today the population has grown and the work force replaced by the many East Europeans who now live here. Peterhead is the closest town to my home village so I usually visit frequently for supermarket shopping, dental visits and other such every day things we do. If and when the winter recedes and we have some nice sunny days I will return to capture more of this town.

• Pros:Interesting history
  • Cons:As its name suggests it can turn you blue
  • Last visit to Peterhead: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 19, 2008

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Excellent page Joan, you tell this so well. The Peterhead Maritime & Heritage Centre, Marina, the of story of Diamond ship, Highland Cows with bangs:) and that lovely statue are so lovely. Thank you!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Wow, these lighthouses are fantastic!! I'd love to be there right now and get a lot of this rough weather into my face :-) Ahh yes, cute coos, I shall get one for Nobby one day (haha). And I love that archway art :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Great intro photo. And excellent photos of Highland cows: I love these cows and moreover, they are almost looking like our little dog! Plenty of superb photos that show that any town can be brightly pictured if you look accurately enough!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Gorgeous opening shot Joan! You've done a great job of unearthing the picturesque in a town others may dismiss as dull. Besides, how could I resist a visit to another Toon?? Love the cute Highland cattle too, of course ;)

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Being close to the sea is certainly big enough reason to visit the Blue Toon :) Haha, what a great haircut those highland cows have! Very interesting iron designed art work!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2008 at 2:50 PM

There might not be much to see in the town, but the dramatic rocky coastline and the beautiful lighthouse would be worth seeing.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Joan, I love that you change your homepage pics frequently!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM

A very interesting little page. Especially interesting how Peterhead got is't nickname. I love to watch the seagull following the fishing boats. Nice looking cattle there also.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2008 at 1:00 AM

Walking along the sea in stormy weater sonds lovely! Great photos and tips Joan!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Too bad they turned off the foghorn! I've seen some small herds of Highland Cattle here in Germany recently, in the Spessart region. I thought toon had to do with Newcastle United, not Peterhead.

scottishvisitor Visits Here Frequently!

scottishvisitor

“Look for the simple things in life”

Badges & Stats in Peterhead

Have you been to Peterhead?

Photos in Peterhead