"Skipness to Campbeltown" Skipness by scottishvisitor

Skipness Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 71 photos

The long and winding road

We set of from Tarbert our home base to visit Skipness. A tiny place with some old ruins and an old fashioned laid back way of life. The 'B' road which passes through Claonaig where the ferries leave for the Isle of Arran is indeed a long and winding road but passes some of the best scenery in Argyll. We didn't intend to visit Campbeltown but I could not face the return journey on this road. Our journey continued and I'm glad we took this road trip - seeing both sides of the Kintyre Peninsula was interesting. The road did widen and become almost normal by the time we reached Campbeltown and homeward to Tarbert was a doodle.

Strange Mac's in Campbeltown

Claonaig & the Ferries

With Water always present there are lots of Ferry to transport you to the Isles. Hopefully one day we will do this and see these islands up close and personal.

• Pros:Small is beautiful
  • Cons:None that I can think of
  • Last visit to Skipness: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2009

• Jan 4, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Happy new year 2011

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I love this kind of place! I feel I must have skipped it on previous visits. I must remember about it.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Enjoyed your detail pics on the peninsula. And WHAT was a doodle? That's a new expression for me. Very cute.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM

You seem to have a great ability to discover these charming out of the way places and describe them to us so vividly!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM

What a wonderful page! It almost felt like I was there walking with you, discovering the little villages and beaches!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Yes, Kintyre is pure pleasure and somehow overlooked by the usual holiday hoardes.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2009 at 10:57 AM

What a detailed journey! Loved to read it :)) It's so well written.

• Jul 13, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Skipness is one of the most tranquil and beautiful places. The lovely people who run the shop and provide coffee and sandwiches which you can eat sitting on the bench outside make it magical. Life is at a different pace from the rest of the world.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Marvelous with a castle, old abbey, beach, village, etc. Also a pleasure to read your insights and to see your outstanding photographs.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Joan, another beautiful places in Scotland that I've never heard of. Loved the Skipness Castle, the tiny village and had to laugh about free range eggs. Walking along the beach and breathing the sea air is something that I very much enjoy - you know it :)

scottishvisitor

“Look for the simple things in life”

Badges & Stats in Skipness

Have you been to Skipness?

Latest Activity in Skipness