"South & Royal Deeside & Stonehaven" Top 5 Page for this destination Stonehaven by scottishvisitor
Stonehaven Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 130 photos
Aberdeenshire has many small towns & villages with small but interesting things to do & see - again VT caught me out with a place name and so Stonehaven will be the destination but this page will also include lots of little places like Mary Culter and south Deeside in general. Over the Summer I hope to show you some of this scenic area stretching from Maryculter just 4 miles south of Aberdeen to Stonehaven with its historic castle. I returned to Deeside in April to capture a lovely spring day which included relaxing in the sunshine and some country walks.
Stonehaven is a place I often visited when my sons were small boys. I re visited in November - a wee bit latter than the planned summer trips. Stonehaven's biggest feature is undoubtly the romantic and thought provoking ruins of Dunnottar Castle.
A short winter break over Christmas saw us enjoying some seasonal frosty weather and great company of friends at Cambus O May near Ballater. The small village of Ballater is quite close to Balmoral so when spring arrives I will re visit this area to show you Ballater's highlights, Balmoral and the little villages and towns which make up Royal Deeside.
- Pros:Spectacular scenery with a touch of the unusual
- Cons:Haar - Oh Aarr but just on the coast
Salmon fishing is a popular sport along the River Dee. The river is divided into many fishing beats all with their own... more travel advice
The old railway line which used to run from Aberdeen to Ballater was created to transport Queen Victoria to her beloved... more travel advice
scottishvisitor's Related Pages
Stonehaven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South & Royal Deeside & Stonehaven"
- "Cabana Boy's Stonehaven Page"
- "A Gem of a Find"
- "Stonehaven & Dunnotar Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stonehaven
- Hotels in Stonehaven
- Transportation in Stonehaven
- Nightlife in Stonehaven
- Restaurants in Stonehaven
- Shopping in Stonehaven
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Stonehaven
- 24 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Stonehaven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stonehaven
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 71 reviews, 212 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 39 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 62 reviews, 133 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 48 reviews, 136 photos
- Kilmartin Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 33 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Intro, 28 reviews, 137 photos
- London Intro, 54 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Elgin Intro, 27 reviews, 114 photos
- Ellmau Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos