"South & Royal Deeside & Stonehaven" Top 5 Page for this destination Stonehaven by scottishvisitor

Stonehaven Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 130 photos

Dee side for yourself!

Aberdeenshire has many small towns & villages with small but interesting things to do & see - again VT caught me out with a place name and so Stonehaven will be the destination but this page will also include lots of little places like Mary Culter and south Deeside in general. Over the Summer I hope to show you some of this scenic area stretching from Maryculter just 4 miles south of Aberdeen to Stonehaven with its historic castle. I returned to Deeside in April to capture a lovely spring day which included relaxing in the sunshine and some country walks.

Stonehaven I finally returned

Stonehaven is a place I often visited when my sons were small boys. I re visited in November - a wee bit latter than the planned summer trips. Stonehaven's biggest feature is undoubtly the romantic and thought provoking ruins of Dunnottar Castle.

Away from the Sea & into the hills & forests

A short winter break over Christmas saw us enjoying some seasonal frosty weather and great company of friends at Cambus O May near Ballater. The small village of Ballater is quite close to Balmoral so when spring arrives I will re visit this area to show you Ballater's highlights, Balmoral and the little villages and towns which make up Royal Deeside.

• Pros:Spectacular scenery with a touch of the unusual
  • Cons:Haar - Oh Aarr but just on the coast
  • Last visit to Stonehaven: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 13, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2010 at 2:06 PM

The town seems to have so much culture and beauty. Nice presentation of the town and the pictures are fantastic.

• Oct 20, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Stonehaven ! i love to visit one day. great picture of Blairs College

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 5:18 AM

Excellent Stonehaven page with lovely photos! Attractions such as the Tolbooth and Dunnotar Castle certainly look interesting to visit. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2007 at 4:40 AM

Looks like a nice area. Although I like visiting cities, it's always nice to get away and see the countryside in places I visit, so the forests and scenery there would appeal to me.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2007 at 5:44 AM

Thank you for visiting my Ypres page. If I am a fan of the Welsh Guards I'm also very fond of the Scottish regiments and bag pipe military bands.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Another very nice area close to home. Beautiful winter photos. The sticky pudding sounds delicious.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 12:40 PM

The name of Dunnotar reminds me sweet memories of my first visit to Scotland! This is a great place and I enjoyed it a lot! Superb photos and a great page!

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Dunnottar Castle is one of my best castle!!! One of the best Scottish landscape!!! I'd like to return!!!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2007 at 5:24 AM

Joan, lovely page about this Scottish gem. I have been twice to Scotland in 1996 and 1999, but unfortunately missed Stonehaven with its famous Dunnottar Castle. Another reason to return .... :-)

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2007 at 10:28 AM

I'm sure this area would suit both nature lovers and those keen on history and sightseeing. I'm impressed with your knowledge of details. Excellent page.

scottishvisitor Visits Here Frequently!

scottishvisitor

“Look for the simple things in life”

Badges & Stats in Stonehaven

Have you been to Stonehaven?

Latest Activity in Stonehaven