"The village of Alte" Top 5 Page for this destination Silves by scottishvisitor

Silves Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 316 photos

Why change from Portugal to Silves?

Please note this page is not new.
VT did not have a location for tiny Alte so I chose Portugal when I first wrote tips here. After a renewed interest in this page from fellow Vt'r I re-scanned my pictures all taken pre VT and started a fresh. I decided to move all the tips and intro to Silves as it is the nearest town to tiny Alte and seems more fitting to be here than lost in Portugal.

Alte far from the maddening crowd

The village of Alte is very quiet & sleepy. We visited here by default...........an offer of free accommondation from a work collegue proved irresistable..........description.......villa with pool, garden with stream running through.........orchard with fruit trees (so tempting)........ all mod cons............... Well in reality...........dark......... musky.......no stream (well it was a hot summer must have dried up) no fruit trees....ah well doesn't matter, local market was very good.........very early in the morning but worth getting up...........couldn't sleep anyway .......no AC..........well not strictley true.........the house had no glass in the back windows.....but there is always a plus side ............ no one ever stole anything..........very safe place. Oh & by the way (whisper) we couldn't find the bathroom..........silly us of course it was in the garden beside all the rest of the staff of life!!

A change in accommodation

We found the Alte hotel within a few days, it was just outside the village and had a swimming pool which we used....ah bliss.........escape the heat. We checked to see if they had accommodation........YES!!! .......room with lounge & ensuite.......MAGIC!!!!!!!

• Last visit to Silves: Jul 1995
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2007

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2010 at 9:26 AM

A nice little place and it must be very pleasant to stay there !

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Joan, lovely little page about this gem of the Algarve. Although I have been to many places in Portugal, I only made it to Faro for one night in this part of the country.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2010 at 11:53 PM

What a charming little village (even if your first accommodation wasn't)!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I found a jumping picture here at your Alte Hotel tip! Can I use it for the jumpinggalleries? Is he your son? The little streets at Silves look so nice to walk around in...Norman :)

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 6:06 AM

This seems to be a pleasant little place for a quiet break. Very pretty. The flat rooftop idea is popular in India too, where people sleep ouside in summer to escape the heat that has built up indoors. Nice photos

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 3:55 AM

i will attend the european meeting in portugal.you may sign up now and see you in May. i enjoyed reading your page. yes, the roofdeck is a multi purpose idea which is similar to spain :) cheers!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Hi, Enjoyed your page. Thinking of returning to Portugal after 10 days in Sept'08. Stayed 7 days Cascais where the Euromeet'09 is scheduled. Visited Fonseca Winery on our drive south to Saville, Spain.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 10:31 AM

With grey autumn outside the window, the thought of sunny Portugal, lying on the beach and sipping porto is something that I desperately need.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Interesting page! Quiet & lovely little town. I'm glad you were able to indulge your love for postcards here. They look beautiful!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM

portugal seems so lovely. I hope to visit. I hope to visit someday. Great tips.

scottishvisitor

“Look for the simple things in life”

Badges & Stats in Silves