Darmstadt Things to Do Tips by scottishvisitor Top 5 Page for this destination
Darmstadt Things to Do: 105 reviews and 282 photos
St. Maria Magdalena - Russische Kapelle = even the name conjures up distant images for me. Known locally as the Russian Chaple - this great beauty was built in 1897 - 1899 the architect Louis Benois must have been a very gifted person to create such a masterpiece. Tzar Nikolaus ll married Alexandra a German Princess from Darmstadt and wanted a Church built here so he would have some place familiar to worship when he visited Darmstadt. I could have stayed seated on the little bench forever, transfixed as if caught in a spell, absolutely charmed and enchanted by the magnificent detail. The Chaple for me seemed to jump staight out of a story book and will remain a fairy tale memory in my heart.
Address: Mathilden hoehe
The Wedding Tower
The Hochzietsturm or to use its English name Wedding Tower was build in memory of the wedding of the Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig to Princess Eleonore zu Solms - Hohensolmes-Lich on the 2nd. February 1905. The tower was completed in 1908 and the architect was Josef Maria Olbrich. Josef joined the artist colony in 1899 at the request of the Grand Duke. The tower is a fine example of the unique buildings you may stumble across in the beautiful Mathildenhohe district in Darmsadt. I loved this tower especially the top which has a unique five spired design which looks very much like fingers on an outstreched hand
The Wedding Tower can be visited from 1st. March - 31st. October between the hours 10.00am till 6.00pm.
Address: Alexandraweg Darmstadt
Darmstadt's Mathildenhohe district is home to some very beautiful and interesting Jugendstil architecture. Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig founded an artist colony here in 1899. He comissioned seven great artists - BEHRENS BOSSELT BURCK CHRISTIANSEN HABICH HUBER & OLBRICH. Their first assignment was the building of houses where the artist both worked and resided. The last exhibition of the Art Nouveau artists was in 1914 during the start of WW l. I don't really know a lot about art in general far less about Jugendstil or even Art Nouveau, but I do know that no one builds houses like these anymore = the houses are indeed a work of art.
The museum Kunstlerkolonie, has a very impossing "Omega Portal" very intricately designed in stunning gold colour. On each side of this strikingly rich doorway stand statues of Adam and Eve sculpted by Ludwig Habish. The building was designed on plans by Joseph M. Olbrish. We were too late to visit inside but I did enjoy admiring the great art work of Ernst Ludwig Haus, truely amazing to see such passion in art.
Museum open Tuesday - Sunday 10.00am - 5.00pm
Address: Alexabdrawug 26
Phone: 6151 133385
More Reviews (3)
scottishvisitor's Related Pages
Darmstadt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Discovering Darmstadt with the eyes of a tourist"
- "Darmstadt: a City of Surprises"
- "Opera and Cycling in Darmstadt"
- "Exploring & discovring a jewel off the beaten path"
- "A Fleeting Look at Darmstadt"
- "Art Nouveau capital Darmstadt"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Darmstadt
- Hotels in Darmstadt
- Transportation in Darmstadt
- Nightlife in Darmstadt
- Restaurants in Darmstadt
- Shopping in Darmstadt
- Warnings and Dangers in Darmstadt
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saint Augustine Things to Do
- Sorrento Things to Do
- Laoag City Things to Do
- Windsor Things to Do
- Ho Chi Minh City Things to Do
- Ottawa Things to Do
- Coron Things to Do
- Springfield Things to Do
- Eureka Springs Things to Do
- Killeen Things to Do
- Hollywood Things to Do
- Las Vegas Things to Do
- Strasbourg Things to Do
- Morro Bay Things to Do
Badges & Stats in Darmstadt
- 7 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Darmstadt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Darmstadt
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Can't rate any pages"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Darmstadt travel pages
- updated a Darmstadt Travel Page "A Fleeting Look at Darmstadt"
- Wrote a Review If you Stay In Darmstadt sleep might evade you in Darmstadt Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "If you Stay In Darmstadt sleep might evade you"
Photos in DarmstadtSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 71 reviews, 212 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 39 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 62 reviews, 133 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 48 reviews, 136 photos
- Kilmartin Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 33 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Intro, 28 reviews, 137 photos
- London Intro, 54 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Elgin Intro, 27 reviews, 114 photos
- Ellmau Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos