"Tumcha River" Tumcha by pinik

Tumcha Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 25 photos

Actually I have never heard about Tumcha town or village and not sure if there is a settlement called Tumcha :) I know about Tumcha river only as the last summer I was kayaking there. Geografically Tumcha river is flowing on Kola (Kolsky) Peninsula (Murmanskaya oblast), though, rather close to Karelia. For example,

It wasn't the best kayaking trip I had in my life: we were not lucky with the weather and water depth. And we are not that disciplined ourself, at least, not enough for this route. Regretfully, we haven't passed through most of Tumcha rapids and saw about a half of views and places only and mostly through a grey shroud of rain.

Anyhow, in spite of the weather, we had a lot of very pleasant moments during the trip. And the combination of beautiful northen nature, fish and the company of good friends were worth to go there :)

Northen Nature

At first sight, Kolsky nature and climate are similar with Karelian. But as I was in souther parts of Karelia, I can say, they do differ from each other. The hills are higher on Kolsky (as there are Apatites mountains on the northern part of the peninsula); the temperature difference is bigger between day and night time and the water is colder if to compare with Karelian rivers and lakes.
Also, I didn't see reindeer moss during our previous trips to Karelia.

We were used to frequently changeable Karelian weather when it could be sunny and rainy a few times every day. So, a few days in a row of cold weather with rains and without a ray of sun wasn't what we were waiting for.

Fishing on Tumcha

One of the best things during our trip was fishing. It was the first cayaking trip when our fishermen were really lucky with fishing. And of course it was such a pleasure for all of us - to eat freshly-salted trout or grayling :)

• Pros:Beautiful nature, interesting cayaking and rafting
  • Cons:Either its cold and rainy or its hot and with billions of mosquitos
  • In a nutshell:There is difference between Kola and Karelia!
  • Last visit to Tumcha: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 20, 2005

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2008 at 12:25 PM

I hate mosquitoes and all kinds of insects

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2006 at 12:25 AM

I really like those photos "up-stream of Alakurtti" - excellent -- the scenery looks fantastic --what a shame there were so many mosquitos !

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 7:44 AM

you're the real hero!!! I think I wouldn't do that, to kayak somewhere in the northern river. And all those mosquitos!! Well, I'm really proud of you!! :-))

Badges & Stats in Tumcha