"Yaroslavl" Top 5 Page for this destination Yaroslavl' by pinik
Yaroslavl' Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 123 photos
Tired from the invariable routine of long working days and short nights I was thinking about having a few days of rest somewere at the seaside in a warm climate...
Instead of this I took the 4-hours train to the north-east from Moscow and get to Yaroslavl :)
The reason was that the big (to the Russian measures) swing dance event took place there and besides sight seeing it was the chance for me to meet with non-Moscow dancing friends and to take some more lindy hop classes.
But as I stayed in Yaroslavl for a few working days I had some free daytime to explore the town which is a part of so-called Golden Ring of Russian cities.
The history of Yaroslavl is starting from 1010, so it's easy to count that in a few years the town will celebrate 1000 years anniversary!
Yaroslavl was built as the town-fortress at the junction of Kotorosl and Volga rivers by Kiev duke Yaroslavl the Wise. Before there was a village staying at the same place called Medvezhij Ugol (Bear Corner). The legend says, the duke subdued the village inhabitants by killing their sacred bear. That is why the bear became a part of the town's emblem.
Nowadays Yaroslavl is the very nice and calm Russian town with 2-4-storeyed buildings in the center which don't enclose antique churches surviving during the long centuries-old history.
the tip is under construction at the moment more travel advice
While enjoying Yaroslavl' from the top of the belfry in Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery, pay attention to the "knobbles"... more travel advice
pinik's Related Pages
Yaroslavl' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a great daytrip from Moscow"
- "The oldest town on the Volga"
- "Bear's city"
- "views from the Spassky Monastery's tower"
- "Great Russian city of "Yaroslav the Wise""
- "Yaroslavl-a fun, laid back city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yaroslavl'
- Hotels in Yaroslavl'
- Transportation in Yaroslavl'
- Restaurants in Yaroslavl'
- Shopping in Yaroslavl'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yaroslavl'
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Yaroslavl'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yaroslavl'
Photos in Yaroslavl'See All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Segovia Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Toledo Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Serfaus Intro, 15 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tumcha Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yaroslavl' Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Portugal Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Ireland Intro, 3 photos
- Sweden Intro, 3 photos