"KIA ORA!" Auckland by I-Believe-I-Can-Fly
Auckland Travel Guide: 1,045 reviews and 2,313 photos
As New Zealand's largest city, Auckland is home to 1.2 million people, with the largest Maori population in the country and increasing swell of Asian immigrants.
Nestled between Waitemata and Manukau harbours, a gulf full of islands and rugged coast, Auckland lapped on all sides by water.
Known as the "City of Sails" because Auckland has the highest density per head of pleasure boats in the world.
Auckland is built on the remnants of 48 dormant volcanoes that make fine vantage points. The best views of Auckland skyline is from the shore or from Mt. Victoria of Devonport.
Devonport is a small sea-side town with multi-colored Victorian rooftops. It's only several minutes away from Auckland's waterfront by Fullers ferry. It also can be reached by car.
Auckland is a nice enough city, but not all that spectacular. The main attraction is the Sky Tower, the largest building in the Southern Hemisphere.
Queen Street the main strip in Central Auckland runs north-south toward the water where it meets Queen Elizabeth II Square. The Ferry building across the QE II Square .
The Waterfront is at the bottom of Queen Street by Waitemata Harbour. Turn left to Viaduct Harbour which is home to restaurants, bars and also Visitor Center where I did a lot of booking for the trip to the South Island.
- Pros:It is always nice to meet close friends in foreign city
- In a nutshell:For the great fun I had in Auckland, please see my travelodges
This beautiful building was built in 1912 and serves as a landmark to the waterfront. Ferry Building also a home to... more travel advice
We bought burgers and French fries at Wendy's in Queen Street. Took them along to the waterfront on the Waitemata... more travel advice
I-Believe-I-Can-Fly's Related Pages
Auckland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Auckland"
- "AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS"
- "Between Rainforest and Traffic Jam"
- "Auckland - City of Sails."
- "Auckland Area Views"
- "Auckland - City of Sails"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auckland
- Hotels in Auckland
- Transportation in Auckland
- Nightlife in Auckland
- Restaurants in Auckland
- Shopping in Auckland
- Warnings and Dangers in Auckland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auckland
- 12 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Auckland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auckland
Photos in AucklandSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City 82 reviews, 165 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 47 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Grand Canyon Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Bali Intro, 46 reviews, 19 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Monument Valley State Park Intro, 19 reviews, 28 photos
- Auckland Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Milford Sound Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Franz Josef Glacier Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos