"I Loved Ninh Binh" Ninh Binh by largerama
Ninh Binh Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 224 photos
Arguably this has some of VIetnam's most stunning scenery at Tam Coc, Cuc Phuong National Park and fascinating ancient structures at Hoa Lu.
Tam Coc has limestone karst hills and a meandering river which makes it way through caves before unveiling a secluded valley rising from the water. Rivers merge into rich green rice paddy fields, and village houses all built from quarried stone and painted in loud colours, contrast against the grey cliff faces of the rocky outcrops. Locals make money from rowing tourist boats. These are rowed through caves naturally carved at the base of the cliffs, and between the looming cliffs. Fabulous scenery as far as the eye can see. Perched on the cliffs are shrines and Pagodas.The Limestone cliffs house caves with amazing rock formations.
Then, if you like partially restored pagodas and temples and mysterious old places that seem like they are out of a film then the nearby Ancient Capital is a must see. All this can easily be reached by moped or bike through the charming villages alleys and roads, surrounded by yet more cliffs and paddy fields.
Cuc Phuong National Park is further afield, though, and for some may be too much for the posterior on a motorcycle and more suited to a car. It is a national park with yet more limestone cliffs, breathtaking views and a beautiful lake. There are amazing trees, unusual vegetation and wild animals such as deer, golden monkeys and flying squirrels.
A stop on the cafe bus route, the town has one main road that runs through it which is in typical Vietnamese style, a little chaotic, noisy and busy but nowhere near like those in Hanoi. It is served by the North-South train line. There aren't many people who visit Ninh Binh and those who do generally come from Hanoi on a day trip or stop over on the way down (or up) from Hanoi. Thus, there are only a small number of travellers staying there, giving a nice little 'off the beaten path' feel to it.
The town's real beauties lie in the little streets away from the main road and the overwhelmingly friendly people. The town has many little streets and alleys with fascinating tall and thin houses, courtyards and old buildings. The town is clean and pleasant with traveller amenities catered for through a small number of hotels, restaurants and internet cafes. If not out sight-seeing, it is a nice place to stroll around.
The people of Ninh Binh make visiting the area all the more worthwhile, though. They are so very friendly and cannnot help but smile and wave. You will be tired of answering the 'hellos' as you walk down the street or ride through the town. Young and old people will greet you warmly.
- Pros:Great little town, mega-friendly locals, loads to see around the area
- Cons:Are there any? Not in my opinion
- In a nutshell:More Than Just a Day Trip or Stopover
As this is the most visited of the tourist spots in Ninh Binh province, it attracts hawkers. I personally didnt find... more travel advice
This was the capital of the country in the 10th century supposedly because of it's central location. I would argue that... more travel advice
- See All Keep the flies off the food
- Appropriate dress for Bich Dong Temple
- See All Ride or be ridden through the villages
- Be part of the family in this hotel
largerama's Related Pages
Ninh Binh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I Loved Ninh Binh"
- "Provincial dust ball"
- "Hoa Lu & Tam Coc"
- "Ninh Binh---another Ha Long Bay?"
- "Hoa Lu & Tam Coc - Good Mix of History and Nature"
- "Around Ninh Binh"
- "From Hoa Lu to Tam Coc"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ninh Binh
- Hotels in Ninh Binh
- Transportation in Ninh Binh
- Restaurants in Ninh Binh
- Warnings and Dangers in Ninh Binh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ninh Binh
- 20 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ninh Binh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ninh Binh
Photos in Ninh BinhSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Ninh Binh Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos
- China Intro, 24 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambodia Intro, 16 reviews, 4 photos
- Leeds Intro, 16 reviews, 3 photos
- Japan Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
- Singapore 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Laos Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Perth 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
No friends yet.