"THE ROUTE OF THE SAXON CHURCHES" Biertan by Nemoa
Biertan Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 27 photos
Close to Sighisoara, you can find some Saxon fortified churches, the most interesting among them is Biertan, today Unesco Heritage site.
This is the old Saxon church where services are still celebrated, although not very regularly as the church does not have a priest.
Interesting altar inside the church.
I was told it had 28 panels it is 12 m. tall, but the most interesting piece is the sacristy which used to hid a tresure and for this purpose had some original door with 19 locks which fit into one in such a fashion that secures the door and it cannot be opened.
I read that it won a prize at the Paris World Exposition in the year 1900.
The bastion used to serve a noble purpose which was to reconcile couples in the process of splitting up. they were locked in here to sort their differences up and in 400 years only one decided to go ahead with separation.
Or so the legend goes.... :-)
- Pros:This is a unique sight in Romania
- Cons:You have to pay for absolutely everything. Although it is so cheap....
- In a nutshell:Interesting site if you are into religious architecture.
Nemoa's Related Pages
Biertan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BIERTAN - Unesco Patrimony"
- "an amazing church with fortifications"
- "THE ROUTE OF THE SAXON CHURCHES"
- "Medias and Biertan"
- "Village with a fortified church."
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Biertan
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Biertan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Biertan
Top 10 Pages
- Dubai Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos
- Budapest 14 reviews, 19 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sinaia Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Krakow 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 11 reviews
- Ko Lanta Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos