"Belize City, Belize" Belize City by PrincessK
Belize City Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 495 photos
Belize City is located in the heart of the country. From there you will be able to make your connection to everywhere else you want to go; from taking a bus to go north and visiting the Community Baboon Sanctuary, Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary and other attractions to catching a boat to the Cayes to taking a bus to visit relaxing Placencia, the adventurous Cockscomb Basin, the only Jaguar Reserve in the world to the mysterious archaeological sites such as Caracol and Xunantunich and the interesting Mountain Pine Ridge area.
The Belize Tourism Village is located on the Belize River mouth, about 15 minutes away from cruise ship anchorage. Specifically designed to cater to cruise lines, the Village has courtyards and terminals offering bathroom facilities, restaurants, snack bars, entertainment (on cruise ship days), access to land and marine tours as well as a variety of local souvenirs, jewelry and clothing.
Overlooking the Mopan River, the ruins of Xunantunich are located approximately eight miles west of San Ignacio Town at San Jose Succotz Village in the Cayo District. The ruins are accessible by public transportation, but after being ferried across the Mopan River, you must walk about one mile to the entrance of the site. By using a travel and tour operator, you will be ferried across with their vehicle, thus eliminating the walk.
Xunantunich was a major ceremonial center during the Classic Period. The site is composed of six major plazas, surrounded by more than twenty-five temples and palaces. The most prominent structure located at the south end of the site is the pyramid "El Castillo"(The Castle) which rises 130 feet high above the plaza. " El Castillo" was the tallest man-made structure in all of Belize, until the discovery of "Canaa" at Caracol. The most notable feature on "El Castillo" is the reconstructed frieze on the east side of the lower temple.
Currently, additional explorations and excavations are being performed by Dr. Richard Leventhal and the Department of Archaeology, in an effort to better understand the history of Xunantunich.
- Pros:Very interesting little city
- Cons:took a long time to get to Xunantunich, cant drink the water, and there are massive amounts of bugs trying to bite you everywhere
- In a nutshell:I'm glad I got to visit Belize
The Cayes and the Belize Reef are a paradise for water sports enthusiasts, offering all the swimming, snorkeling, scuba... more travel advice
PrincessK's Related Pages
Belize City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belize ~ Dedicated to Wildlife Preservation"
- "Belize City - I've Seen Better!"
- "Seedy Old Colonial Capital"
- "Belize City and Countryside - Dec. 2004"
- "Belize City"
- "Belize City"
- "Belize City, Belize"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belize City
- Hotels in Belize City
- Transportation in Belize City
- Nightlife in Belize City
- Restaurants in Belize City
- Shopping in Belize City
- Warnings and Dangers in Belize City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belize City
- 7 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Belize City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belize City
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 53 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cancún Intro, 23 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puerto Rico Intro, 18 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- St. Thomas Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belize City Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinique Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Dominican Republic Intro, 5 reviews, 1 photo
- Barbados Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Key West 1 review
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Latest Belize City hotel reviews
- Blackbird Caye Eco-Resort
- 216 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Belcove Hotel
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Princess Hotel And Casino Belize
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Radisson Fort George Hotel And Marina
- 281 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Best Western Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- The Great House
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Birds Eye View Lodge
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 15, 2013
- Caye Chapel Island Resort
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Hotel Mopan
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Seaside Guest House
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- THE RED HUT INN
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Barefoot Beach Belize/Seaview Hotel
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Mopan River Resort
- 1 Review & Opinion