"Why do I feel like "I'm coming home", here...???" Cosenza by rosie235

Cosenza Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 23 photos

Provincia Rose, Cosenza. A family affair...

PROVINCIA ROSE, COSENZA. The place where my parents were born. This last trip in June was my fourth time to this beautiful, rustic old village. My first visit was when I was 10 years old. I visited again in 1992 and 1995 and swore that I would never visit again. I guess at that time I just didn't appreciate the beauty, the simplicity and the sense of history that I got to learn and appreciate on this last visit.

The purpose of this last visit was to show my son Vt member BS8 where his grandparents were born. Our 5 days in the village followed on from a 4 week trip through Italy. As he was learning all about Italian History, landmarks etc at school, we felt that it was the right time to take him to Italy to experience it all for real.

Some how showing my son our village and introducing him to family that he really had no idea existed was one of the most amazing experiences of our whole trip. It was so wonderful to see him enthralled at some of the stories that My uncle,( Mum's brother), told. He was fascinated at how much Zio Nicola looked like his grandmother, how his manerisms and jovial nature were so much like his nonna. He met so many relatives from both my parents side and his fathers parents side who incidentaly also came from Rose.

I just had to visit this river.

Here I am at the Arende River with my son and My dad's brother, Zio Modesto. I remembered coming to this river as a 10 year old. The river back then was bigger, wider, deeper.. Back then I'd come with my aunts and they would be washing their clothes in the crystal clear water. They would sweeten their olives in the water for weeks until they were ready to eat. I'd ride down here on my grandfathers cart which was pulled by his cows, Brunella and Graziella. There would be barrels on the back of the cart and we'd fill them with water and cart them back up the hill to the house. I spent hours down at the river as a child and loved every minute of it. I couldn't wait to take Brandon there to show him the river I had spoken about so often. Well, the river is not so big, not so deep or so wide any more. It still was crystal clear though.

This is my little cousin Atillio. Wow, what a voice. He sings with absolute passion. His dream is to become a famous performer. He has the gorgeous , dreamy boy looks and a voice that will melt any young girls heart. He has cut a cd and I hope that he gets to live his dream. Atillio, I'm very proud of you and wish you all the very best.

• Last visit to Cosenza: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 11, 2006

• Feb 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Rosie - I, too, am hoping to visit Rose Cosenza in April with my family to show them my beloved grandmother's birthplace. If you have any advice, please contact me at yapjdt@worldnet.att.net. Thank you, Joyce

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 10:44 PM

Looks lovely! I want to go back to Italy already! :)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2006 at 5:12 AM

that is such a beautiful place!

rosie235

“opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one..!! thanks Brad for this insight...”

Badges & Stats in Cosenza

Have you been to Cosenza?